microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Global Assembly Cache Q

KA Kueh

8/18/2008 5:48:00 AM

Dear all,

I have compile a C# dll and needs to add it into the GAC of my Windows Vista
machine. I have permission denied error either using the gacutil or drag
and drop into the c:\window\assembly folder.

The following is configured.

1) UAC.
2) The machine is joined in the AD domain.
3) my user account is in the Administrators Group in my Domain.
4) Windows Vista Business SP1

My question what else do I need to do before I am allowed to install GAC
into the machine. Thanks.

Regards,
Kueh.

5 Answers

Phil Wilson

Stating what might be obvious, but being an administrator on a UAC system
doen't mean that you're always running with administrator rights. That's the
point of UAC. So make sure you explicitly run gacutil as administrator or
run Explorer as an administrator.

--
Phil Wilson
Definitive Guide to Windows Installer

"KA Kueh" <KAKueh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> I have compile a C# dll and needs to add it into the GAC of my Windows
> Vista machine. I have permission denied error either using the gacutil or
> drag and drop into the c:\window\assembly folder.
>
> The following is configured.
>
> 1) UAC.
> 2) The machine is joined in the AD domain.
> 3) my user account is in the Administrators Group in my Domain.
> 4) Windows Vista Business SP1
>
> My question what else do I need to do before I am allowed to install GAC
> into the machine. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Kueh.

KA Kueh

How do I deploy application across the organization (within a domain) when I
need the administrator to run the gacutil? Thanks.

Regards,
Kueh.

"Phil Wilson" <phil.wilson@wonderware.something.com> wrote in message
> Stating what might be obvious, but being an administrator on a UAC system
> doen't mean that you're always running with administrator rights. That's
> the point of UAC. So make sure you explicitly run gacutil as administrator
> or run Explorer as an administrator.
>
> --
> Phil Wilson
> Definitive Guide to Windows Installer
> http://www.apress.com/book/view/...
>

> "KA Kueh" <KAKueh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have compile a C# dll and needs to add it into the GAC of my Windows
>> Vista machine. I have permission denied error either using the gacutil
>> or drag and drop into the c:\window\assembly folder.
>>
>> The following is configured.
>>
>> 1) UAC.
>> 2) The machine is joined in the AD domain.
>> 3) my user account is in the Administrators Group in my Domain.
>> 4) Windows Vista Business SP1
>>
>> My question what else do I need to do before I am allowed to install GAC
>> into the machine. Thanks.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Kueh.

Pavel Minaev

On Aug 19, 4:50 am, "KA Kueh" <k...@ksm.com.my> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I deploy application across the organization (within a domain) when I
> need the administrator to run the gacutil?   Thanks.

I can't say for gacutil specifically, but why not just create an .msi
installer that would deploy the assembly into GAC? That still needs
administrative permissions, but a domain administrator should be able
to do a domain-wide rollout remotely using the usual MSI tools and
techniques.

Phil Wilson

Exactly. MSI setups can be installed in administrator mode for
non-privileged users.
--
Phil Wilson

"Pavel Minaev" <int19h@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Aug 19, 4:50 am, "KA Kueh" <k...@ksm.com.my> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I deploy application across the organization (within a domain) when
> need the administrator to run the gacutil? Thanks.

I can't say for gacutil specifically, but why not just create an .msi
installer that would deploy the assembly into GAC? That still needs
administrative permissions, but a domain administrator should be able
to do a domain-wide rollout remotely using the usual MSI tools and
techniques.

KA Kueh

Thanks for the suggestions.