Doug

8/15/2008 1:26:00 AM

Does anyone know if you can create a new file type to open programs in Vista?
I use Windows 2000 and XP and use could get to the file type in the windows
explorer, tools, folder options, file type tab.
In Vista going thru control panel, default progams, associate a file type or
protocol
with a program. Seems that microsoft left out a way to create a file type
3 Answers

Steve

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 19:34:21 -0700, George Grapman
<sfgeorge@paccbell.net> wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 19:16:11 -0700, George Grapman
>> <sfgeorge@paccbell.net> wrote:

>>> And still no opinion?
>>
>> Of course I have an opinion....
>

> Care to tell us?

Naw...

>>> Is that because you are his neighbor?

John Galt

"Steve" <stevencanyon@yahooooooo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 19:54:05 -0700, George Grapman
> <sfgeorge@paccbell.net> wrote:
>
>> The company I work for is looking to fill a position and Steve has
>>given me great idea. Instead of reading resumes and having interviews I
>>simply have to ask one question to qualify applicant-"do you rent or own?"
>

> Nothing wrong with renting if you're under twenty five and just
> getting started or if one has put aside other assets or investments to
> cover their future.... beyond that, renting is a sign of immature,
> and/or irresponsible behavior...

Eh......I think that's overstepping a bit. Buying a house isn't a great
investment, in that in most situations, it doesn't appreciate at anywhere
near the rate of equities. Further, even in normal times, you can get but S
C R E W E D on a home purchase, if something happens and for whatever reason
(say, you're 25 and your Dad dies and you need to move back to be close to
mom) you have to sell inside of 3 to 5 years.

There are plenty of circumstances that a mature, responsible person might
prefer to rent, as I see it. However, for MOST, you're right -- it's the
only chance they have to build a nest egg.

JG

Mark Salsbery [MVP]

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if you can create a new file type to open programs in
> Vista?
> I use Windows 2000 and XP and use could get to the file type in the
> windows
> explorer, tools, folder options, file type tab.
> In Vista going thru control panel, default progams, associate a file type
> or
> protocol
> with a program. Seems that microsoft left out a way to create a file type

Customizing File Types (File Associations)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar...(VS.85).aspx

Mark

--
Mark Salsbery