microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Smartclients and IIS6 on OS2003 server ?

Deasun

7/17/2008 8:56:00 PM

Hello all,

We just moved our Intranet to this server and half our users get a load of
xml on there screen when they click on the link to start the smartclient app.
The same users hitting the sam pages on our old 2000 IIS5 server works fine.

As far as I can see the IIS 6 settings for the site are correct.
We have enabled .net 2.0 and 1.0 on it.

Has anyone any ideas on this? Or point me in the right direction to get an
answer.

Thanks
Deasun
--
Deasun
Home Site: www.tirnaog.com

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Deasun,

Which asp.net version do u use?
are u sure that u registered the right asp.net version via aspnet_regiis -i?
Did you try to set IIS5 mode in the IIS6 settings?!

If after all these steps you site start working, I assume that you are missing
some httphandlers which are processing your pages - that's why you see xml
content, not the page rendering

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.c...

D> We just moved our Intranet to this server and half our users get a
D> load of xml on there screen when they click on the link to start the
D> smartclient app. The same users hitting the sam pages on our old 2000
D> IIS5 server works fine.
D>
D> As far as I can see the IIS 6 settings for the site are correct. We
D> have enabled .net 2.0 and 1.0 on it.
D>
D> Has anyone any ideas on this? Or point me in the right direction to
D> get an answer.

Deasun

Version: 2.0 {v2.0.50727}
We have the versions on there and SPs.

aspnet_regiis -i?
We tried this for the 2.0 version.

set IIS5 mode in the IIS6 settings
For other application reasons the network guy does not want to turn this on.
They had it on and they kept getting a security box popping up on the
users
desktops when they hit the home page for the Intranet.

Aye it seems like the client having the problems don't seem to be awear of
the ".application" extension. But on the servers we have the mime types
registered.

I am at a loss. The clients that have the problems seem to be spread out
about the company. Some in one depart. can work fine others in same dept. get
the xml.
All on the same OS. Various update lvls.
On a test box client that was having the same problems I updated completely
the XP machine. SP3 and all and still no luck. But these same PCs directed to
the old webserver work fine.

Everything I can see seems to point to something on the new 2003 server or
IIS6.
I just can'y see anymore settings I could turn on or off.

Need help bad. Stuck with redirecting links to old server till we get a fix
for this.

Thanks for your reply.
Desun

--

"Michael Nemtsev [MVP]" wrote:

> Hello Deasun,
>
> Which asp.net version do u use?
> are u sure that u registered the right asp.net version via aspnet_regiis -i?
> Did you try to set IIS5 mode in the IIS6 settings?!
>
> If after all these steps you site start working, I assume that you are missing
> some httphandlers which are processing your pages - that's why you see xml
> content, not the page rendering
>
> ---
> WBR,
> Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.c...

> D> We just moved our Intranet to this server and half our users get a
> D> load of xml on there screen when they click on the link to start the
> D> smartclient app. The same users hitting the sam pages on our old 2000
> D> IIS5 server works fine.
> D>
> D> As far as I can see the IIS 6 settings for the site are correct. We
> D> have enabled .net 2.0 and 1.0 on it.
> D>
> D> Has anyone any ideas on this? Or point me in the right direction to
> D> get an answer.

Deasun

Morning,

Anyone have any ideas?
Looking for a expert in Server 2003 and IIS6.
What settings need to be set to get Msartclient stuff to work on it?

Thanks
Deasun