microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Slow COM Interop with framework 2.0

selain

7/17/2008 7:45:00 AM

Hi, i've got a problem with dotnet framework 2 and the tidestone
component f1book.
I've got an application built with visual studio 2005 that use the
f1book component (so it creates the interop layer dlls do comunicate
with the component).
On certain computers it becomes incredibly slow to perform the
features, i'm almost sure that the problem is in COM interop when i
call the component methods, does anyone have any suggestion to tweak
it up ?
3 Answers

Scott M.

COM InterOp is inherantly going to introduce a performance bottleneck.

There's not too much you can do about increasing performance, other than
making sure that you are releasing the COM objects from the CLR by calling
Marshal.ReleaseComObject(obj) when you are done with the COM reference in
your managed code.

- Scott

<selain@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi, i've got a problem with dotnet framework 2 and the tidestone
> component f1book.
> I've got an application built with visual studio 2005 that use the
> f1book component (so it creates the interop layer dlls do comunicate
> with the component).
> On certain computers it becomes incredibly slow to perform the
> features, i'm almost sure that the problem is in COM interop when i
> call the component methods, does anyone have any suggestion to tweak
> it up ?

selain

I tried what you told me bu speed remained the same.

Also it seems that if i disconnect the network cable the problem never
shows (tha application has nothing to do with the network)

I'm a bit confused ..

On 18 Lug, 00:00, "Scott M." <s-...@nospam.nospam> wrote:
> COM InterOp is inherantly going to introduce a performance bottleneck.
>
> There's not too much you can do about increasing performance, other than
> making sure that you are releasing the COM objects from the CLR by calling
> Marshal.ReleaseComObject(obj) when you are done with the COM reference in
> your managed code.
>
> - Scott
>
> <sel...@libero.it> wrote in message

> > Hi, i've got a problem with dotnet framework 2 and the tidestone
> > component f1book.
> > I've got an application built with visual studio 2005 that use the
> > f1book component (so it creates the interop layer dlls do comunicate
> > with the component).
> > On certain computers it becomes incredibly slow to perform the
> > features, i'm almost sure that the problem is in COM interop when i
> > call the component methods, does anyone have any suggestion to tweak
> > it up ?- Nascondi testo citato
>
> - Mostra testo citato -

Scott M.

Well, as I said, there's not much you can do about performance with COM
InterOp bottlenecking your code.