microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Click Once application failing at execution

ChicagoGolfer

7/16/2008 1:24:00 AM

We run a Click Once application that runs on an Intranet at our
company and our users run Internet Explorer. The click once
application is able to download to the users PC, but right at
execution, he encounters a fatal error. The fatal error lists the exe
of the click once application.

I have many other users that are able to do the same download and
execute without a problem.

I have checked the usual IE settings that could cause ClickOnce
problems.

Where should I look on the user's PC for an indication of the real
cause of the problem?

Is there something else I should be looking at as a possible cause for
the user to get a fatal error right at execution of a click once
application?
18 Answers

EradicusMax

Is he using the same Framework version?

<ChicagoGolfer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> We run a Click Once application that runs on an Intranet at our
> company and our users run Internet Explorer. The click once
> application is able to download to the users PC, but right at
> execution, he encounters a fatal error. The fatal error lists the exe
> of the click once application.
>
> I have many other users that are able to do the same download and
> execute without a problem.
>
> I have checked the usual IE settings that could cause ClickOnce
> problems.
>
> Where should I look on the user's PC for an indication of the real
> cause of the problem?
>
> Is there something else I should be looking at as a possible cause for
> the user to get a fatal error right at execution of a click once
> application?

EradicusMax

You may have written the program for the 3.5 framework, but he only has 2.0.

<ChicagoGolfer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> We run a Click Once application that runs on an Intranet at our
> company and our users run Internet Explorer. The click once
> application is able to download to the users PC, but right at
> execution, he encounters a fatal error. The fatal error lists the exe
> of the click once application.
>
> I have many other users that are able to do the same download and
> execute without a problem.
>
> I have checked the usual IE settings that could cause ClickOnce
> problems.
>
> Where should I look on the user's PC for an indication of the real
> cause of the problem?
>
> Is there something else I should be looking at as a possible cause for
> the user to get a fatal error right at execution of a click once
> application?

Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

Couple of things to check, is your code signed, are your certificates
installed in the publisher store on the client machine, are you reviewing
the stack trace in the browser? Post the stack trace here.

--

Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
Download OWC Black Book, 2nd Edition
Exclusively on www.lulu.com/owc $15.00
Need a free copy of VSTS 2008 w/ MSDN Premium?
http://msmvps.com/blogs/alvin/De...

<ChicagoGolfer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> We run a Click Once application that runs on an Intranet at our
> company and our users run Internet Explorer. The click once
> application is able to download to the users PC, but right at
> execution, he encounters a fatal error. The fatal error lists the exe
> of the click once application.
>
> I have many other users that are able to do the same download and
> execute without a problem.
>
> I have checked the usual IE settings that could cause ClickOnce
> problems.
>
> Where should I look on the user's PC for an indication of the real
> cause of the problem?
>
> Is there something else I should be looking at as a possible cause for
> the user to get a fatal error right at execution of a click once
> application?

ChicagoGolfer

On Jul 15, 9:06 pm, "EradicusMax" <NoM...@myhouse.com> wrote:
> Is he using the same Framework version?
>
> <ChicagoGol...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > We run a Click Once application that runs on an Intranet at our
> > company and our users run Internet Explorer.  The click once
> > application is able to download to the users PC, but right at
> > execution, he encounters a fatal error.  The fatal error lists the exe
> > of the click once application.
>
> > I have many other users that are able to do the same download and
> > execute without a problem.
>
> > I have checked the usual IE settings that could cause ClickOnce
> > problems.
>
> > Where should I look on the user's PC for an indication of the real
> > cause of the problem?
>
> > Is there something else I should be looking at as a possible cause for
> > the user to get a fatal error right at execution of a click once
> > application?- Hide quoted text -

The computers that work and don't work both have the same version of
the .Net Framework (2.0.50727).

ChicagoGolfer

On Jul 15, 10:25 pm, "Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]" <vapor dan using hot
male spam filter> wrote:
> Couple of things to check, is your code signed, are your certificates
> installed in the publisher store on the client machine, are you reviewing
> the stack trace in the browser? Post the stack trace here.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]
>
> [Shameless Author plug]
> Download OWC Black Book, 2nd Edition
> Exclusively onwww.lulu.com/owc$15.00
> Need a free copy of VSTS 2008 w/ MSDN Premium?http://msmvps.com/blogs/alvin/De...
>
> <ChicagoGol...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > We run a Click Once application that runs on an Intranet at our
> > company and our users run Internet Explorer.  The click once
> > application is able to download to the users PC, but right at
> > execution, he encounters a fatal error.  The fatal error lists the exe
> > of the click once application.
>
> > I have many other users that are able to do the same download and
> > execute without a problem.
>
> > I have checked the usual IE settings that could cause ClickOnce
> > problems.
>
> > Where should I look on the user's PC for an indication of the real
> > cause of the problem?
>
> > Is there something else I should be looking at as a possible cause for
> > the user to get a fatal error right at execution of a click once
> > application?- Hide quoted text -

How do I gather the stack trace of the browser?

Sachin Palewar

On Jul 16, 7:27 pm, ChicagoGol...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jul 15, 10:25 pm, "Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]" <vapor dan using hot
>

> male spam filter> wrote:
> > Couple of things to check, is your code signed, are your certificates
> > installed in the publisher store on the client machine, are you reviewing
> > the stack trace in the browser? Post the stack trace here.
>
> > --
>
> > Regards,
> > Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]
>
> > [Shameless Author plug]
> > Download OWC Black Book, 2nd Edition
> > Exclusively onwww.lulu.com/owc$15.00
> > Need a free copy of VSTS 2008 w/ MSDN Premium?http://msmvps.com/blogs/alvin/De...
>
> > <ChicagoGol...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > We run a Click Once application that runs on an Intranet at our
> > > company and our users run Internet Explorer.  The click once
> > > application is able to download to the users PC, but right at
> > > execution, he encounters a fatal error.  The fatal error lists the exe
> > > of the click once application.
>
> > > I have many other users that are able to do the same download and
> > > execute without a problem.
We managed to fix a few strange errors with ClickOnce installation
after installing Service Pack 1 for .Net Framework 2.0. You can give
it a try. I hope there would have been someway to automatically
upgrade all the users with SP1 for 2.0, but couldn't manage that so
manually installed the SP1 on each user's machine.

Also if you can post the error details here, I may have other
suggestions as well.

Regards,
Sachin Palewar

Palewar Techno Solutions
(Mobile Solutions for Your Business)
www.palewar.com
http://palewar.blo...

> > > I have checked the usual IE settings that could cause ClickOnce
> > > problems.
>
> > > Where should I look on the user's PC for an indication of the real
> > > cause of the problem?
>
> > > Is there something else I should be looking at as a possible cause for
> > > the user to get a fatal error right at execution of a click once
> > > application?- Hide quoted text -

> How do I gather the stack trace of the browser?

Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

How are you loading the application? Through a browser or app desktop
shortcut? If it is a browser, there will be an error button for more
details. If it is desktop shortcut, have a look at eventvwr for warning
signs.

--

> On Jul 15, 10:25 pm, "Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]" <vapor dan using hot
> male spam filter> wrote:
>> Couple of things to check, is your code signed, are your certificates
>> installed in the publisher store on the client machine, are you reviewing
>> the stack trace in the browser? Post the stack trace here.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]
>>
>> [Shameless Author plug]
>> Download OWC Black Book, 2nd Edition
>> Exclusively onwww.lulu.com/owc$15.00
>> Need a free copy of VSTS 2008 w/ MSDN
>> Premium?http://msmvps.com/blogs/alvin/De...
>>
>> <ChicagoGol...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > We run a Click Once application that runs on an Intranet at our
>> > company and our users run Internet Explorer. The click once
>> > application is able to download to the users PC, but right at
>> > execution, he encounters a fatal error. The fatal error lists the exe
>> > of the click once application.
>>
>> > I have many other users that are able to do the same download and
>> > execute without a problem.
>>
>> > I have checked the usual IE settings that could cause ClickOnce
>> > problems.
>>
>> > Where should I look on the user's PC for an indication of the real
>> > cause of the problem?
>>
>> > Is there something else I should be looking at as a possible cause for
>> > the user to get a fatal error right at execution of a click once
>> > application?- Hide quoted text -

> How do I gather the stack trace of the browser?

Nickname unavailable

On May 18, 9:53 am, Bret Cahill <BretCah...@peoplepc.com> wrote:
> > > Even the few honest economists, Smith, George, Keynes, Galbraith,
> > > Samuelson, Stiglitz, Krugman, etc. can never be considered "stand
> > > alone."
>
> > > They all seem to focus on one thing, i,e., land for George, and have
> > > good insight that seems like a no brainer after it's published, i.e.,
> > > Keynes, but none are comprehensive.
>
> > > Smith would have done more good by devoting the entire _Wealth of
> > > Nations_ to a better understanding of the "invisible hand" which is,
> > > of course, nothing more than free speech.
>
> > > George's was unassailable on geo taxation -- the disreputable fellows
> > > at Hoover and the Chicago School are always careful to dodge Henry
> > > George's arguments -- but there is more to economic injustice that
> > > treating stolen / swindled property [land] like the product of human
> > > labor.
>
> > > You're better off with a political scientist like Tocqueville than an
> > > economist.
>
> > > Bret Cahill
>
> >  politics and economics cannot be separated period.
>
> According to Thomas Paine politics and government should _only_ be
> about economic issues.
>
> That is different than saying a first rank political scientist is more
> comprehensive about economics than even the best economists.
> Tocqueville beat Keynes by 80 years.  It was only a couple lines but
> that's going to happen with any more general treatment.
>
> I'm not claiming I'm any better than the economists.  I made only one
> contribution by pointing out the absurdity of free markets w/o free
> speech.  It's as unassailable and bigger than George's land issue but
> I would never say it was comprehensive.
>
> > to say one exists
> > without the other, is a lie at best. the new deal was a combination of
> > both. any country can create jobs and wealth for a few, china is a
> > good example. but countries like that are simply parasites, and have
> > no real internal demand. so its more than just economics that creates
> > jobs, its political also. politics combined with economics, can create
> > well paying jobs, wide spread wealth distribution, higher standards of
> > living, decent retirement, investment in the peoples and countries its
> > applied to, and a self sustaining consumption, coupled with smart,
> > active regulation of the parasitical part of any economy, the
> > financial part.
>
> This OP was more of a philosophical than a direct or specific
> political or economics post.
>
> Bret Cahill

but a good economist cannot ignore politics or philosophy. smith
wrote about both, but mostly philosophy. the free market types like
friedman, ignored everything but math. and only real idiots worship
that type. because the freidman types are brown nosed frauds.

Werner

How about those political market types like Marx? How did that work out?

Bret Cahill

> > >  politics and economics cannot be separated period.
>
> > According to Thomas Paine politics and government should _only_ be
> > about economic issues.
>
> > That is different than saying a first rank political scientist is more
> > comprehensive about economics than even the best economists.
> > Tocqueville beat Keynes by 80 years.  It was only a couple lines but
> > that's going to happen with any more general treatment.
>
> > I'm not claiming I'm any better than the economists.  I made only one
> > contribution by pointing out the absurdity of free markets w/o free
> > speech.  It's as unassailable and bigger than George's land issue but
> > I would never say it was comprehensive.
>
> > > to say one exists
> > > without the other, is a lie at best. the new deal was a combination of
> > > both. any country can create jobs and wealth for a few, china is a
> > > good example. but countries like that are simply parasites, and have
> > > no real internal demand. so its more than just economics that creates
> > > jobs, its political also. politics combined with economics, can create
> > > well paying jobs, wide spread wealth distribution, higher standards of
> > > living, decent retirement, investment in the peoples and countries its
> > > applied to, and a self sustaining consumption, coupled with smart,
> > > active regulation of the parasitical part of any economy, the
> > > financial part.
>
> > This OP was more of a philosophical than a direct or specific
> > political or economics post.
>
> > Bret Cahill
>
>  but a good economist cannot ignore politics or philosophy. smith
> wrote about both, but mostly philosophy.

There may be something about the field that only allows each economist
at most one or a few insights and that's it.

I complain about a lot of fields. When I took materials I thought we
just had a bad text book. Later on I realized the entire field --
actually a gazillion unrelated fields -- was like that.

In materials science you are looking at Nature and she ain't always
pretty.

> the free market types like
> friedman,

Friedman only claimed he was for a free markets. That was just a
scam, a Big Lie.

> ignored everything but math.

Friedman was just a shill trying -- and failing -- to hide behind
math. His rhetoric is trivially easy to turn back, i.e., "there is no
free lunch on liberty, taxes are the price of freedom."

> and only real idiots worship
> that type. because the freidman types are brown nosed frauds.

Well he was getting paid to spout nonsense. The tire biters here hope
they too will get a biscuit when it's clear they aren't getting jack.

Bret Cahill