microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

How to supply license information with a library (dll

Alexander Smirnov

7/14/2008 10:05:00 AM

Hi

What is the better and secure way to supply licensing info with a .net
framework DLL?
By licensing info I mean what classes and to whom are licensed
PS.: I use VS2005 Net Framework 2.0

thanks in advance

3 Answers

Pavel Minaev

On Jul 14, 2:04 pm, Alexander Smirnov <s_alexande...@list.ru> wrote:

> What is the better and secure way to supply licensing info with a .net
> framework DLL?
> By licensing info I mean what classes and to whom are licensed
> PS.: I use VS2005 Net Framework 2.0

There is no truly "secure" way to do that (it is provably impossible
to devise a secure software-only protection scheme), and "better" is
subjective. However, .NET provides a standard framework for licensing
components and controls. You can read more about it here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fe8...

The advantage of using this scheme is that it is widely known and
understood by developers who might be buying your products.

Alexander Smirnov

As I understand the solution you have suggested in that link is about
licensing control and components. But the class in my DLL is not
derived from System.Windows.Forms.Control

Pavel Minaev

On Jul 14, 3:00 pm, Alexander Smirnov <s_alexande...@list.ru> wrote:
> As I understand the solution you have suggested in that link is about
> licensing control and components. But the class in my DLL is not
> derived from System.Windows.Forms.Control

You do not have to derive from System.Windows.Form.Control - you can
derive from System.ComponentModel.Component. And you can do that only
for some key class or classes of yours, not the entire object
hierarchy (and it's often a good idea to do that anyway, since
designer support for reusable components never hurts).