microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Computer will not boot past the Welcome/log-on screen.

CBC

7/13/2008 3:36:00 PM

I am attempting to boot a computer running Windows XP Pro and it will show
the Windows is starting up screen then proceeds to the choose the username
screen. When I choose the username, the computer immediately shuts down. I
have tried to boot the machine in Safe Mode with Networking and get the same
response. This occurred after running the Computer Associates Anti-Virus
program and defragmenting the machine.

Any suggestions as to resolution of this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

--
CBC
2 Answers

Peter Duniho

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 08:36:02 -0700, CBC <CBC@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I am attempting to boot a computer running Windows XP Pro [...]
>
> Any suggestions as to resolution of this problem would be greatly
> appreciated.

Step 1: find a newsgroup where your question is on-topic.

This newsgroup is for questions regarding writing .NET programs, not for
random "I don't know how to use my computer" questions.

PvdG42

"CBC" <CBC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am attempting to boot a computer running Windows XP Pro and it will show
> the Windows is starting up screen then proceeds to the choose the username
> screen. When I choose the username, the computer immediately shuts down.
> have tried to boot the machine in Safe Mode with Networking and get the
> same
> response. This occurred after running the Computer Associates Anti-Virus
> program and defragmenting the machine.
>
> Any suggestions as to resolution of this problem would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks,
>
> --
> CBC

Post in a Windows XP group. Here's how to find it.

As you appear to be using a web interface, start here to find an appropriate
group:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/de...

Click the + beside your language. then scroll down to Windows. In Windows,
open the Windows XP category, then find a group there to post in.