microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Shipping dotnet 2.0 sp1

gP T Gr8

6/30/2008 6:52:00 AM

I want to distribute 2.0 SP1 on XP, I launch it from InstallShield.
However, If i lauch setup.exe from my setup i
get an error saying another setup is running.I have another setup
which does the same but installs 2.0, When i looked at the setup.exe
used in the 2.0 distributable its discription says "external
Installer".
But when i extracted SP1, its setup.exe is not similar. Any pointers?
3 Answers

Phil Wilson

You can't run any part of this update from within an MSI file as a custom
action. The .NET FW install is MSI based, so you can't run an MSI update
patch from within your MSI install as a custom action. This is why many (if
not all) prerequisites are installed by a bootstrapper before the MSI
install starts.
--
Phil Wilson
Definitive Guide to Windows Installer

"gP T Gr8" <gprasadholla@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to distribute 2.0 SP1 on XP, I launch it from InstallShield.
> However, If i lauch setup.exe from my setup i
> get an error saying another setup is running.I have another setup
> which does the same but installs 2.0, When i looked at the setup.exe
> used in the 2.0 distributable its discription says "external
> Installer".
> But when i extracted SP1, its setup.exe is not similar. Any pointers?

gP T Gr8

I don't run it as a custom action, i have added button in a UI which
calls "LaunchApp" method to launch the setup.

I downloaded SP1 exe, extracted it. And using it for launching from
installer. Anything u think im missing?

On Jun 30, 10:36 pm, "Phil Wilson"
<phil.wil...@wonderware.something.com> wrote:
> You can't run any partb of this update from within an MSI file as a custom
> action. The .NET FW install is MSI based, so you can't run an MSI update
> patch from within your MSI install as a custom action. This is why many (if
> not all) prerequisites are installed by a bootstrapper before the MSI
> install starts.
> --
> Phil Wilson
> Definitive Guide to Windows Installerhttp://www.apress.com/book/view/...
>
> "gP T Gr8" <gprasadho...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:68f0a230-35ec-4410-97eb-df20c7237cfb@a9g2000prl.googlegroups.com...
>

> >I want to distribute 2.0 SP1 on XP, I launch it from InstallShield.
> > However, If i lauch setup.exe from my setup i
> > get an error saying another setup is running.I have another setup
> > which does the same but installs 2.0, When i looked at the setup.exe
> > used in the 2.0 distributable its discription says "external
> > Installer".
> > But when i extracted SP1, its setup.exe is not similar. Any pointers?

Phil Wilson

If this is happening inside the MSI then it will be a custom action,
assuming the button in the UI is beiong called from the MSI install.
LaunchApp is one of those supplied InstallShield functions, yes? Is "the
UI" the UI in the MSI ?