[ANN] Weft QDA 0.9.6

Alex Fenton

7/8/2005 10:08:00 AM

I'm pleased to announce the release of Weft QDA version 0.9.6.

homepage: http://www.pressu...
rubyforge: http://www.rubyforge.org/projects...

Weft QDA is an end-user GUI application for the analysis of unstructured
textual data, such as interview transcripts, written documents and
fieldnotes. It's intended for use in anthropology, sociology and other
social sciences and humanities. It is particularly designed to present a
simple, easy-to-use interface. It is currently available for Windows and
GNU Linux.

New features and improvements in this release include:

- category names can now be in non-latin scripts, eg Chinese
- coded text is highlighted in document and category windows
- new code review tool to compare coding of multiple categories
- faster coding and rearranging of categories
- interface improvements for Windows & Linux
- updated and expanded documentation
- new installer
- fixed numerous bugs

I'm hoping to release a version 1.0 soon, so bug reports and suggestions
for enhancements are especially welcome.

Many thanks to end users who have tried the application, and especially
to the authors and maintainers of the packages upon which Weft QDA is
built, including wxruby, sqlite-ruby and rubyscript2exe, who have
continued to offer important with this release. Also thanks to the
rubyforge hosts - the free services there have made development ten
times easier! I hate maintaining CVS servers!

alex

4 Answers

Ara.T.Howard

Alex Fenton

Hi

> i'm working on a book about scientific programming with ruby... although
> this
> project looks to be a bit much to do a case study on it is quite
> interesting.

Really interesting to hear about this book. Looking at the list of
projects, and also from following c.l.r. it seems that almost all
current work relates to natural sciences and engineering, and little for
humanities and social sciences. This is probably mostly to do with 1)
there being more problems in natural science disciplines that are
tractable to computational intensification and 2) there being more
people working in those sciences that have skills or training in
programming.

However, Perl has historically been used quite widely for research in
some humanities and soc sci, and Ruby has all the advantages that have
made Perl popular in, for example, textual and linguistic analysis. It
will be interesting to see whether Ruby's use in these fields will
increase as it matures and is better known. A couple of recent modules
supplying stemming algorithms might be a good example.

A couple of (mostly commercial) applications that do similar things to
Weft provide scripting languages. I'm planning to use Ruby to allow Weft
QDA users to do the same. Actually, this feature exists but is disabled
in release versions for the same reasons that I wouldn't hand users a
slightly unpredictable chainsaw with no instructions. But once it has a
properly documented API and a helpful GUI, it will be interesting to see
how much the type of people who use this software (non-programmers, but
often with experience in simple scripting languages in e.g. stat
packages) find Ruby as a scripting tool. My hunch is that they will like it!

regards
alex

CB@PrayForMe.com

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 13:46:02 -0800 (PST), Christopher Helms
<chrishelms2@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Dec 9, 9:20?am, "C...@PrayForMe.com" <C...@PrayForMe.com> wrote:
>> Dims calling for status quo in Republican candidate instead of Newt.
>> Newt 's looking after the country NOT the establishment
>

>Are you out of your fucking gourd? Newt is the living, breathing
>embodiment of the inside the beltway, paid off Washington insider.
>He's never had a normal job in his life and he has regularly held
>multiple positions on multiple issues, depending on which way the cash
>was flowing. Newt is what conservatives since the Reagan era have
>always claimed to hate. He is what the teabaggers claim to hate. He is
>an overpriced, overvalued corporate pimp with the soul of a
>bureaucratic functionary, the ego of a basketball star and the mouth
>of Ann Coulter. I am at a loss as to what sort of insanity,
>desperation and/or panic is driving Republicans to even consider a
>useless, angry old rat bastard like Newt Gingrich for anything except
>maybe comedy relief.

Just the guy to bloody Obama's political elitist nose

CB
By their fruits you shall know them--The White House and Christ
Tuesday, April 26, 2011

In Matthew 7:15-16, Jesus warns, "Beware of false prophets, which come
to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye
shall know them by their fruits."
http://prophecyfrombillwilsontoday.blogspot.com/2011/04/by-their-fruits-you-shall-know...

Compare the above with...

Keynesian economics 'is' at work by Obama the Marxist in sheep's
clothing.

Fabian/Keynesian coat of arms, a wolf in sheeps clothing
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5061156284_476eca...

The whole Fabian stain window
http://www.canadafreepress.com/images/uploads/FabianWi...

"Obama didn?t just have a team of Keynesians. He had the Keynesian
all-star team"
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=We+Are+All+Keynesians+Now&view=detail&id=F42464A667E9DE1A569CAB0C1356878EBA5D420F&first=30&F...

CB@PrayForMe.com

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 15:49:34 -0700, Yoorghis@Jurgis.net wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 13:46:02 -0800 (PST), Christopher Helms
><chrishelms2@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Dec 9, 9:20?am, "C...@PrayForMe.com" <C...@PrayForMe.com> wrote:
>>> Dims calling for status quo in Republican candidate instead of Newt.
>>> Newt 's looking after the country NOT the establishment
>>

>>Are you out of your fucking gourd? Newt is the living, breathing
>>embodiment of the inside the beltway, paid off Washington insider.
>>He's never had a normal job in his life and he has regularly held
>>multiple positions on multiple issues, depending on which way the cash
>>was flowing. Newt is what conservatives since the Reagan era have
>>always claimed to hate. He is what the teabaggers claim to hate. He is
>>an overpriced, overvalued corporate pimp with the soul of a
>>bureaucratic functionary, the ego of a basketball star and the mouth
>>of Ann Coulter. I am at a loss as to what sort of insanity,
>>desperation and/or panic is driving Republicans to even consider a
>>useless, angry old rat bastard like Newt Gingrich for anything except
>>maybe comedy relief.
>
>Hell, that's easy
>'
>a) Barta has absolutely NO brains---relies on fake religious crap,
>slurps up and regurgitates most of the rightwing propaganda without a
>clue as to it's meaning --or even if any of it's true
>
>b) he's a sicko racist---uses racial slurs everyday against blacks,
>latinos, and anyone else the GOP targets.
>
>c) He's a dickhead southerner.

You know what you 'is', low life