[ANN] Ruby/Event a libevent C Extension

Zed A. Shaw

7/7/2005 7:01:00 AM

Hi Everyone,

I seem to be on a roll with these C extensions. My latest one is a
fairly faithful wrapping of the libevent library written by Niels Provos
(and others). For those who don't know libevent is basically like super
kick-ass select and makes very nice fast as hell network servers with
low overhead.

The Ruby/Event extension (since I can't think of another name) wraps
both the raw event API and the bufferevent API with Ruby objects and
modules. I tried to balance the libevent requirements with the
Ruby/Event design.

This first release is a very initial release to see what people think of
it. You can check the quick blurb at:

http://www.ze...

Included in this release are:

* tar.bz2 source and .gem packages.
* Fairly complete documentation (actually better than libevent's).
* Several classic examples like an echo client/server, simple HTTP GET,
etc.
* Unit test cases.
* Examples try to use both the BufferEvent API and the Event API.

You will need libevent 1.11 as that's what I tested with.

Enjoy, and please send me any feedback you may have about the library.

Zed A. Shaw

P.S. I'm going to do an SCGI client/server library with this if anyone
is interested in helping out.

2 Answers

Jonathan Weiss

This is very nice!

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Weiss
http://blog.in...

George Moschovitis

Wow, this is really great! Just what I needed for a project of mine!

-g.