irb configuration settings

Chuck Brotman

7/3/2005 4:20:00 AM

In IRB tips and tricks on rubygarden.org we are instructed to add some
rubycode "to your ~/.irbc:".

I searched my Harddrive and could find no file of that name nor directory ~,
nor an ".irb.hist". I'm confused!
What concept am I missing here?? Don't know if it matters, but I'm running
on WinXP.

TIA,
Chuck

1 Answer

Gyoung-Yoon Noh

On 7/3/05, Chuck Brotman <chuck.brotman@gmail.com> wrote:
> In IRB tips and tricks on rubygarden.org we are instructed to add some
> rubycode "to your ~/.irbc:".
>
> I searched my Harddrive and could find no file of that name nor directory ~,
> nor an ".irb.hist". I'm confused!
> What concept am I missing here?? Don't know if it matters, but I'm running
> on WinXP.

'~' is a synonym for $HOME in Unix(maybe shells?). $HOME is same as
%HOMEPATH% in Windows. But you can't create any filename starts with
'.' in explorer shell. So, open command prompt, cd %HOMEPATH%, and
rename it to .irbrc or 'copy con .irbrc'.

--
http://nohmad.su...