Re: [ANN] Sudoku 0.0.4 is released

Kevin Stone

6/29/2005 10:12:00 PM

Balwinder Singh Dheeman wrote:
> ABSTRACT
> ========
> Sudoku (Numbers Solitary) puzzle game, implemented in pure Ruby, just
> two days (exactly 16 hours) of work. At present ANSI-console interface
> only, but I shall add GUI using GTK2, QT and, or any other suitable
> library; a limited web interface is included.

Curious choice of development platform. Reasons? Advantages?

--
Kev
www.brainbashers.com/sudoku

1 Answer

Balwinder S Dheeman

On 06/30/2005 03:42 AM, Kevin Stone wrote:
> Balwinder Singh Dheeman wrote:
>
>>ABSTRACT
>>========
>>Sudoku (Numbers Solitary) puzzle game, implemented in pure Ruby, just
>>two days (exactly 16 hours) of work. At present ANSI-console interface
>>only, but I shall add GUI using GTK2, QT and, or any other suitable
>>library; a limited web interface is included.
>

> Curious choice of development platform. Reasons? Advantages?

*Platform*: ruby 1.8.2 (2005-04-11) [i386-Linux]

*Reasons*: While I was learning and teaching Ruby to my daughter, when I
told her a story about how I developed a small, simple and example
shooting game only in an hour long session for my students in 1986, we
also discussed somewhat about Sudoku too; she insisted me to write an
Sudoku for her... and some persons here in this newsgroup were also
talking that in Ruby it would be just 3-4 days of hack to implement
Sudoku (I doubt, they I think were talking about a solver either).

Ruby as compared to Perl, PHP, Python and, or many other scripting
languages is quite easy for me and is truly object oriented.

*Advantages*: Linux provides me a _complete control_ over my machines,
and that's not the only reason I prefer Linux, but I Love it. Linux,
though not the best as yet, but is a much much better kernel (on June
21, 2005 I switched over to kernel version 2.6.12) with lots of
supported hardware and all most all Linux distros come with sufficient
tools, apps and, or good installers.

Sorry, I'm newbie to Ruby as yet, so no comments on it's advantages, it
seems quite easy, needs lesser typing for me as compared to Java, C#,
Perl, PHP and, or Python otherwise.

--
Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
CLLO (Chief Linux Learning Officer) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192