Re: Programmers Contest: Fit pictures on a page

Devin Mullins

6/29/2005 9:55:00 PM

Wow. You guys? Let's all stop being idiots.

http://dinsights.com/POTM/GLOSSY/d...

Devin

> My guess is one of two things:
>
> 1. What's the smallest circumscribing rectangular area in which you can fit a
> collection of fixed-size non-overlapping rectangles, and what is their
> orientation? The size of a circumscribing rectangular area is its area -- that
> is, width * height.
> 2. If you're allowed to resize each individual rectangle to your heart's
> content, but must keep the aspect ratio of each the same (90 degree rotation is
> ok, though), how can you arrange the rectangles on another, fixed-size rectangle
> (the paper) in a way that minimizes whitespace (measured in total area of
> whiteness)?
>
> Devin

2 Answers

Bill Guindon

On 6/29/05, twifkak@comcast.net <twifkak@comcast.net> wrote:
> Wow. You guys? Let's all stop being idiots.

We're not idiots, we're just too damned lazy to click the link!

> http://dinsights.com/POTM/GLOSSY/d...

Sure, go ahead and spoil all the fun of making up theories by throwing
facts at us.

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Randy Kramer

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 05:55 pm, twifkak@comcast.net wrote:
> Wow. You guys? Let's all stop being idiots.
>
> http://dinsights.com/POTM/GLOSSY/d...

Oops, sorry, didn't notice this link in the first post.

Randy Kramer