Anything in new Eclipse for Rubyists?

jfry

6/28/2005 9:52:00 PM

Hey there, I know that a number of folks on the list use Eclipse as
your Ruby IDE. I know that Eclipse v3.1 just came out
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads...

Do any of you have insight into what benefits there are in this release
for someone who is using Eclipse only for Ruby?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff Fry

9 Answers

JZ

On 28 Jun 2005 14:52:03 -0700, jfry wrote:

> Do any of you have insight into what benefits there are in this release
> for someone who is using Eclipse only for Ruby?

I do not think if Ruby plugin differs in Eclipse 3.1 version. But I am
sure, Eclipse 3.1 works faster. I starts about 2 times faster than ver 3.0.

--
JZ

Amarison

I tried multiple times to install the ruby plugin for eclipse 3.1. It's
failing all the time. Anyone made it work?

"JZ" <abuse@tpnet.pl> wrote in message
> On 28 Jun 2005 14:52:03 -0700, jfry wrote:
>
> > Do any of you have insight into what benefits there are in this release
> > for someone who is using Eclipse only for Ruby?
>
> I do not think if Ruby plugin differs in Eclipse 3.1 version. But I am
> sure, Eclipse 3.1 works faster. I starts about 2 times faster than ver
3.0.

> --
> JZ

Chuck Brotman

Nope! I couldn't get it to work either...

Chuck

--
Chuck

threeve.org

If by 'Ruby plugin' you guys mean RDT (Ruby Development Tools) then
it worked fine for me on Eclipse 3.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.1

On 6/28/05, Chuck Brotman <chuck.brotman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nope! I couldn't get it to work either...
>
> Chuck
>
> On 6/28/05, Amarison <amarison@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I tried multiple times to install the ruby plugin for eclipse 3.1. It's
> > failing all the time. Anyone made it work?
> >

> > "JZ" <abuse@tpnet.pl> wrote in message

> > > I do not think if Ruby plugin differs in Eclipse 3.1 version. But I am
> > > sure, Eclipse 3.1 works faster. I starts about 2 times faster than ver
> > 3.0.
> > >
> > > --
> > > JZ
> >

> --
> Chuck

JZ

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:36:25 -0400, Amarison wrote:

> I tried multiple times to install the ruby plugin for eclipse 3.1. It's
> failing all the time. Anyone made it work?

Yes. It works. Windows XP Pro SP2.

--
JZ

Andreas Habel

JZ wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:36:25 -0400, Amarison wrote:
>

>>I tried multiple times to install the ruby plugin for eclipse 3.1. It's
>>failing all the time. Anyone made it work?
>

> Yes. It works. Windows XP Pro SP2.

I`ve had no problems installing nighlty build 0.6.506270719 (06/28/05)
of rdt on eclips 3.1 on SuSE 9.3 and java build 1.4.2_06-b03.

A few days earlier I tried the same with eclipse 3.0 on Win2k3. I
noticed lots of bugs in syntax highlighting and code folding.
Now everything works fine, thanks to linux, eclipse 3.1 or a fixed rdt??

Regards,
Andreas

Jeff Waltzer

Did you try running unit tests under RDT?

--
It is the duty of a patriot to protect his country from its government"
-Thomas Paine

Zach Dennis

There was a patch that was needed for 3.1 to work right. I will try to
get a release for 0.5.0 out with a patch for Eclipse 3.1 out as soon as
I can, perhaps this weekend, or sometime next week...

The RDT (rubyeclipse) team is working on 0.6.0 targeted for Eclipse 3.1
at the moment also, but I can't say we know any expected release dates.

Zach

Zach Dennis

Zach Dennis wrote:
> There was a patch that was needed for 3.1 to work right. I will try to
> get a release for 0.5.0 out with a patch for Eclipse 3.1 out as soon as
> I can, perhaps this weekend, or sometime next week...
>
> The RDT (rubyeclipse) team is working on 0.6.0 targeted for Eclipse 3.1
> at the moment also, but I can't say we know any expected release dates.

I take it back. There was a patch submitted by Elias Volanakis to help
things work smoothly in 3.1. I can't say if this was for 0.5.0 or 0.6.0
development.

I will run this weekend and see what happens. If I can get something
going with 0.5.0 and 3.1 I will see what can happen. Otherwise continue
to use Eclipse 3.0 with RDT. Thanks,

Zach