microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Important System Restore Question

Heather

6/28/2008 8:05:00 AM

I was wondering, if I did a system restore to the first day I had my
computer, would it completely remove all the files that I myself put onto the
computer? That is my goal. Is system restore even what I should be using to
get my computer back to the way it was the first day I logged on? There are
certain files I do want to save, like photos and music and such, however, I
am buying an external hard drive to save those.
1 Answer

PvdG42

"Heather" <Heather@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I was wondering, if I did a system restore to the first day I had my
> computer, would it completely remove all the files that I myself put onto
> the
> computer? That is my goal. Is system restore even what I should be using
> get my computer back to the way it was the first day I logged on? There
> are
> certain files I do want to save, like photos and music and such, however,
> am buying an external hard drive to save those.

As you don't say what computer you are talking about, or whether you are
talking about the manufacturer's recovery mechanism, it's hard to say for
sure. In general, a system restore mechanism will put the system back to its
state as of a given date, thus preserving any files that were already
present as of that date/time. The manufacturer's recovery mechanism, OTOH,
will put the system back to the state it was in when you first opened the
box and started it for the first time, erasing any and all files you created
by using the computer.
Given your goal. You should use the manufacturer's recovery mechanism.