microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Avoiding new references

dbrowne

6/23/2008 8:07:00 PM

This is probably going to be an obvious answer for some, but I'm just
looking for directions or where to look or read. How can you make an
application that references a specific file ... say foo1.2 ... not break
when foo1.3 is released.

For example, I have an application that uses a commercial available class
say V.1.0 that has a function called getColor, then the vendor releases V1.1
that fixes a bug in getColor. How could I write the application so I could
just add V1.1 in the apps folder without having to recompile the entire
application? The assembly fails because it is looking for V.1.0

3 Answers

Peter Duniho

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:07:03 -0700, D Browne <gordigor@community.nospam>
wrote:

> This is probably going to be an obvious answer for some, but I'm just
> looking for directions or where to look or read. How can you make an
> application that references a specific file ... say foo1.2 ... not break
> when foo1.3 is released.
>
> For example, I have an application that uses a commercial available
> class say V.1.0 that has a function called getColor, then the vendor
> releases V1.1 that fixes a bug in getColor. How could I write the
> application so I could just add V1.1 in the apps folder without having
> to recompile the entire application? The assembly fails because it is
> looking for V.1.0

Can you be more specific about what you're doing?

Generally, the default for a reference is for the "Specific Version"
property to be "false". In that case, you should automatically use the
newer version if it's provided.

There are ways to use assemblies in which a specific version is required,
but I wouldn't care to speculate on which, if any, of these techniques you
might be using. More information from you as to why you're not just
getting the default behavior would be useful.

Pete

dbrowne

That's exactly what the issue was. The third party control was defaulting to
specific version to true.
"Peter Duniho" <NpOeStPeAdM@nnowslpianmk.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:07:03 -0700, D Browne <gordigor@community.nospam>
> wrote:
>
>> This is probably going to be an obvious answer for some, but I'm just
>> looking for directions or where to look or read. How can you make an
>> application that references a specific file ... say foo1.2 ... not break
>> when foo1.3 is released.
>>
>> For example, I have an application that uses a commercial available
>> class say V.1.0 that has a function called getColor, then the vendor
>> releases V1.1 that fixes a bug in getColor. How could I write the
>> application so I could just add V1.1 in the apps folder without having
>> to recompile the entire application? The assembly fails because it is
>> looking for V.1.0
>
> Can you be more specific about what you're doing?
>
> Generally, the default for a reference is for the "Specific Version"
> property to be "false". In that case, you should automatically use the
> newer version if it's provided.
>
> There are ways to use assemblies in which a specific version is required,
> but I wouldn't care to speculate on which, if any, of these techniques you
> might be using. More information from you as to why you're not just
> getting the default behavior would be useful.
>
> Pete

dbrowne

Too early... same problems

Let me see if I can explain better. We created an application using Acme's
Superbar.dll v3.0. The reference was set to specific version:false. The
application works fine.

Acme releases a hotfix called Superbar.dll v3.5. The new component is added
to the applications working folder. Now the application errors, looking for
v3.0.

Is there something I'm missing?