microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

WebBrowser without Internet Explorer

Thom Little

6/11/2008 7:36:00 PM

There are some third party programs that claim to be able to remove Internet
Explorer from Windows.

Assuming this is true, when Internet Explorer is removed in this manner is
the .NET Framework WebBrowser control also removed?

Asked another way ... can I have a functioning WebBrowser control executing
on a machine that does not have Internet Explorer installed?

.... Thom
Thom Little - www.tlanet.net - Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
3 Answers

Pavel Minaev

On Jun 11, 11:35 pm, "Thom Little" <t...@tlanet.net> wrote:
> There are some third party programs that claim to be able to remove Internet
> Explorer from Windows.
>
> Assuming this is true, when Internet Explorer is removed in this manner is
> the .NET Framework WebBrowser control also removed?
>
> Asked another way ... can I have a functioning WebBrowser control executing
> on a machine that does not have Internet Explorer installed?

Note that since a certain version of Windows - can't remember which
one it was - you can actually "uninstall" IE in a proper manner via
Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Components.

However, most of the ways to uninstall IE only remove the executable
which launches IE, but leave the library that actually provides the
rendering engine (i.e., the control) intact. In this case WebBrowser
will still work. Assuming one is able to remove IE entirely, including
all libraries, while still allowing Windows UI to work, WebBrowser
would of course stop working.

Thom Little

Thank you for he information.

I am trying to determine the exposure in deploying a commercial product that
uses .NET 3.5 in general and the WebBrowser control in particular. Until
yesterday I had never considered the prejudice against Internet Explorer
that was apparently significant enough to support the marketing of multiple
removal products.

Any additional guidance you can provide would be appreciated.

For the record ... I have six browsers installed and Internet Explorer is my
default.

.... Thom
Thom Little - www.tlanet.net - Thom Little Associates, Ltd.

Patrice

From
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar...(VS.85).aspx#reusebovw_topic4 :

If you reuse the WebBrowser control in your application, you can get a
self-extracting executable from the IEAK that will install all the necessary
Internet Explorer components automatically. You can even perform a "silent
install" that won't replace the user's current browser or enable the Active
Desktop-in other words, other browser customers don't have to even know you
installed some Internet Explorer pieces on their computer.

Note thought that this is a very old article. You may want to check if the
current IEAK still include this capability that is likely still what the
..NET based control uses behind the scene....

--
Patrice

discussion : OmUe4gJzIHA.5892@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...