microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Auto-updating application

ssg31415926

5/26/2008 7:05:00 AM

Is there a way to auto-update my app? I need to deploy an app using
SMS - I can't use ClickOnce - and I'd like to be able to make it check
for updates and download and install them automatically. There used
to be an Application Updater block for 1.1 but I can't find anything
for 2.0 or later.
4 Answers

Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

You'll have to do custom code for this.

--

Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
The O.W.C. Black Book, 2nd Edition
Exclusively on www.lulu.com/owc $19.99

"ssg31415926" <newsjunkmail@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to auto-update my app? I need to deploy an app using
> SMS - I can't use ClickOnce - and I'd like to be able to make it check
> for updates and download and install them automatically. There used
> to be an Application Updater block for 1.1 but I can't find anything
> for 2.0 or later.

ssg31415926

If anyone else is looking, here are a bunch of references I found.
The first two are definitely worth a look:

http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/1004...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/magazine/cc1...

http://blogs.msdn.com/dotnetinterop/archive/2008/03/28/simp......

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/MakingYourApplicationAutomati......

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/vb/CustomAppAutoU...

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63309278......

http://www.simple-talk.com/dotnet/.net-tools/using-bits-to-......

http://www.codeplex.com/sharpbits/Thread/View.aspx?Thre...

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/Managed_BITS.aspx?df=100&f......

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/shar...

On 28 May, 03:24, "Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]" <vapor dan using hot
male spam filter> wrote:
> You'll have to do custom code for this.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]
>
> [Shameless Author plug]
> The O.W.C. Black Book, 2nd Edition
> Exclusively onwww.lulu.com/owc$19.99
>
> "ssg31415926" <newsjunkm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Is there a way to auto-update my app? I need to deploy an app using
> > SMS - I can't use ClickOnce - and I'd like to be able to make it check
> > for updates and download and install them automatically. There used
> > to be an Application Updater block for 1.1 but I can't find anything
> > for 2.0 or later.

abelard

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 18:10:59 +0100, "Chris X" <Chris_X2006@ahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>"abelard" <abelard3@abelard.org> wrote in message
>>
>> how you fundies

your attempt at censorsip is again noted....

take the test you squirming coward

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics
energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past

Chris X

> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 18:10:59 +0100, "Chris X" <Chris_X2006@ahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:

>>> how you fundies
>
> your attempt at censorsip is again noted....

Topic restored.

He's right, of course. Colombia is run by a gang of warmongering, psychotic,
drug-dealing crooks who lick Moronican arse in the pursuit of ever-more
generous bribes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8...
Venezuela is withdrawing its ambassador from neighbouring Colombia and
freezing relations, following a dispute over weapons supplied to Colombian
rebels.

President Hugo Chavez, who announced the move on Venezuelan TV, also said he
was halting trade deals with Colombia.

The BBC's Will Grant in Caracas said the dispute between the two neighbours
comes as Colombia prepares to allow the US to use four of its military
bases, a move which has angered Venezuela.

Colombia says the accord will give the US military access to air bases to
gather intelligence and support operations against drugs production and
terrorism. *

* Oooh the irony !

But Mr Chavez says it is part of an effort by Washington to turn Colombia
into the "Israel of Latin America".

Relations between the two South American nations have been difficult in
recent years.

In March 2008, Venezuela moved troops to its border after Colombian forces
raided a Farc camp just inside Ecuador.

Both Ecuador and Venezuela cut off diplomatic ties with Colombia at the
time, although Mr Chavez subsequently restored ties.

http://www.nowarfor...