microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

XML Escaping a String?

coconet

5/25/2008 3:01:00 AM

I have a URL like "https://aaaa.aaa/bbb/bbbb/ccc?dd=44&e...

And I wan to put it in an XML configuration file. Trying to use
HttpUtility to HTML encode it is not enough, I need to "XML Encode"
it, how can I do that?

Thanks.

3 Answers

Jon Skeet

coconet <coconet@community.nospam> wrote:

> I have a URL like "https://aaaa.aaa/bbb/bbbb/ccc?dd=44&e...
>
> And I wan to put it in an XML configuration file. Trying to use
> HttpUtility to HTML encode it is not enough, I need to "XML Encode"
> it, how can I do that?

If you want to put it in an XML file, I'd use the XML APIs to create
the XML file in the first place - they will usually take care of all
this for you.

--
Jon Skeet - <skeet@pobox.com>
Web site: http://www.pobox....

Mike Urquiola

"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" <skeet@pobox.com> wrote in message
> coconet <coconet@community.nospam> wrote:
>>
>> I have a URL like "https://aaaa.aaa/bbb/bbbb/ccc?dd=44&e...
>>
>> And I wan to put it in an XML configuration file. Trying to use
>> HttpUtility to HTML encode it is not enough, I need to "XML Encode"
>> it, how can I do that?
>
> If you want to put it in an XML file, I'd use the XML APIs to create
> the XML file in the first place - they will usually take care of all
> this for you.

Or you can put whatever you want in a CData section.
<![CDATA[https://aaaa.aaa/bbb/bbbb/ccc?dd=44&e...]]>

Jon Skeet

Mike Urquiola <mike@urquiola.org> wrote:
> >> I have a URL like "https://aaaa.aaa/bbb/bbbb/ccc?dd=44&e...
> >>
> >> And I wan to put it in an XML configuration file. Trying to use
> >> HttpUtility to HTML encode it is not enough, I need to "XML Encode"
> >> it, how can I do that?
> >
> > If you want to put it in an XML file, I'd use the XML APIs to create
> > the XML file in the first place - they will usually take care of all
> > this for you.
> >

> Or you can put whatever you want in a CData section.
> <![CDATA[https://aaaa.aaa/bbb/bbbb/ccc?dd=44&e...]]>

Well, so long as your data doesn't contain ]]>

It makes it harder to read the strings which don't need it, however.
I'm also not sure whether or not it works for attributes. I think it's
generally simpler to use a proper XML API whose job is to hide things
like this.

--
Jon Skeet - <skeet@pobox.com>
Web site: http://www.pobox....