microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Delay-signed satellite assemblies loads even when they should not.

olle3770

5/22/2008 8:14:00 AM

This is at least for .Net 2.0

We use delay-signing of assemblies and sn –Vr *,xxxxx during
development. We have a utility program that creates satellite
assemblies (and delay-signs them) for culture specific resources. On
“development” machines, these satellite assemblies loads fine, but on
production machines they do not load since the production machines has
assembly verification turn ON. This is ok, no problem, this is how
it’s supposed to work.

If I, on a “development” machine, executes sn –Vx and verifies that
there are no verification skipping entries found, the delay signed
satellite assemblies still loads! If I programmatically load the
assembly and try to get its name I works and I get the name, even
though other delay signed assemblies (signed with other keys) do not
even load.

The command sn –vf on the satellite assemblies says that they are
either delay or test-signed. So, with assembly verification turned
ON, why do they load?

It doesn’t matter if I restart the machine. There must be something
left in the system that allows these delay signed satellite assemblies
to load if they once were allowed to load. I can add that we use the
same assembly version number through the process (so the strong name
doesn’t change).