microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

what is the location of the dll's path on a server

Walter Deodiaus

5/21/2008 8:01:00 PM

I created and ran a dll, which works fin in my test enviroment...
However, when I deploy it, I got a new message.
Parser Error Message: Could not load the assembly 'App_Web_wldguix0'. Make
sure that it is compiled before accessing the page.

What is the location of the dlls? How does the server know to look in /bin
as opposed to the local home dir

12 Answers

prakash

On May 22, 1:01 am, "Walter Deodiaus" <deodiausNOS...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> I created and ran a dll, which works fin in my test enviroment...
> However, when I deploy it, I got a new message.
> Parser Error Message: Could not load the assembly 'App_Web_wldguix0'. Make
> sure that it is compiled before accessing the page.
>
> What is the location of the dlls? How does the server know to look in /bin
> as opposed to the local home dir

please give use some more details about your application , server
environment.

Walter Deodiaus

Thanks Prakash!!
Do you know any other free asp.net hosts [which use subdomains], which do
not require me to get a domain registered?
I tried a http://www.asphost... but they want "YIKES" money for
database support. You can't just activate your database without the
support!!
Instead, I got a trial webhosting at http://hosting....
I am trying to run from
http://deodiaus-2.hosting.parking.ru/ppw/...

On the remote dir, login.apsx is located in the dir .../home/ppw
What is the location of the dlls, .../home/bin or .../home/ppw/bin ? How
does the
server know to look in home/ppw/bin (does it always look in the bin path
relative to the aspx page)
as opposed to the local home dir. Is this automatically entered into the
%PATH% variable?
BTW, the instructions tell me that it uses .NET 2.0. Do I have to load any
additional dlls (interopdb.dll) to the server as well ?

Is there a brief tutorial on the web which discusses the soup and nuts of
webservers??

"prakash" <prakash.kgm@gmail.com> wrote in message
I created and ran the App_Web_wldguix0.dll fine in my local test
enviroment...

Walter Deodiaus

I have to try these suggestions
http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/...

But the other question is
if I have a page called login.aspx on my server in a sub dir called ppw
and I reference the location on the url as
http://deodiaus-2.hosting.parking.ru/ppw/...
where do my dlls lie?
Do I put them in the dir home/ppw/bin or home/bin ?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> where do my dlls lie?
!> Do I put them in the dir home/ppw/bin or home/bin ?

home/ppw/bin

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.n...
foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net...
======================================
"Walter Deodiaus" <deodiausNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uu9NtWJvIHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I have to try these suggestions
> http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/...
>
> But the other question is
> if I have a page called login.aspx on my server in a sub dir called ppw
> and I reference the location on the url as
> http://deodiaus-2.hosting.parking.ru/ppw/...
> where do my dlls lie?
> Do I put them in the dir home/ppw/bin or home/bin ?

Juan T. Llibre

I have two questions for you:

1. Why are you inheriting from "login, App_Web_wldguix0" ?

2. Since apparently you want your codebehind page to inherit a class,
why didn't you include a CodeFile attribute ?

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Sample.aspx.cs" Inherits="Sample"%>

Please explain exactly what you did and what you want your code to do,
so that we can have a clearer idea of what you've done and what you want to do,
in order to be able to help you better.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.n...
foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net...
======================================
"Walter Deodiaus" <deodiausNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uu9NtWJvIHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I have to try these suggestions
> http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/...
>
> But the other question is
> if I have a page called login.aspx on my server in a sub dir called ppw
> and I reference the location on the url as
> http://deodiaus-2.hosting.parking.ru/ppw/...
> where do my dlls lie?
> Do I put them in the dir home/ppw/bin or home/bin ?

Walter Deodiaus

The first line of login.aspx is
<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="login.aspx.cs"
Inherits="login" aspcompat=true %>

as generated by the wizard whose source can be viewed at

http://people.places.work.tripod.com/...

I don't know why that did not display properly. I want a simple page to
display login info

"Juan T. Llibre" <nomailreplies@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I have two questions for you:
>
> 1. Why are you inheriting from "login, App_Web_wldguix0" ?
>
> 2. Since apparently you want your codebehind page to inherit a class,
> why didn't you include a CodeFile attribute ?
>
> <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Sample.aspx.cs"
> Inherits="Sample"%>
>
> Please explain exactly what you did and what you want your code to do,
> so that we can have a clearer idea of what you've done and what you want
> to do,
> in order to be able to help you better.
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.n...
> foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net...
> ======================================
> "Walter Deodiaus" <deodiausNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have to try these suggestions
>> http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/...
>>
>> But the other question is
>> if I have a page called login.aspx on my server in a sub dir called ppw
>> and I reference the location on the url as
>> http://deodiaus-2.hosting.parking.ru/ppw/...
>> where do my dlls lie?
>> Do I put them in the dir home/ppw/bin or home/bin ?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I don't know why that did not display properly. I want a simple page to display login info

Is there a class named "login" in "login.aspx.cs" ?

It should read like this :

public partial class login : System.Web.UI.Page

Also, is the directory "ppw" marked as an application in IIS, or at least as a virtual directory ?

"Walter Deodiaus" <deodiausNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23E2CxbNvIHA.5288@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> The first line of login.aspx is
> <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="login.aspx.cs" Inherits="login" aspcompat=true %>
>
> as generated by the wizard whose source can be viewed at
>
> http://people.places.work.tripod.com/...
>
> I don't know why that did not display properly. I want a simple page to display login info

> "Juan T. Llibre" <nomailreplies@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:u7l7KINvIHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>I have two questions for you:
>>
>> 1. Why are you inheriting from "login, App_Web_wldguix0" ?
>>
>> 2. Since apparently you want your codebehind page to inherit a class,
>> why didn't you include a CodeFile attribute ?
>>
>> <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Sample.aspx.cs" Inherits="Sample"%>
>>
>> Please explain exactly what you did and what you want your code to do,
>> so that we can have a clearer idea of what you've done and what you want to do,
>> in order to be able to help you better.
>>

>> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>> asp.net faq : http://asp.n...
>> foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net...
>> ======================================
>> "Walter Deodiaus" <deodiausNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uu9NtWJvIHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>I have to try these suggestions
>>> http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/...
>>>
>>> But the other question is
>>> if I have a page called login.aspx on my server in a sub dir called ppw
>>> and I reference the location on the url as
>>> http://deodiaus-2.hosting.parking.ru/ppw/...
>>> where do my dlls lie?
>>> Do I put them in the dir home/ppw/bin or home/bin ?

Walter Deodiaus

Yes, login is there in the cs file
I have to check the second issue
> re:
> Is there a class named "login" in "login.aspx.cs" ?
>
> It should read like this :
>
> public partial class login : System.Web.UI.Page

Walter Deodiaus

How do I set ppw to be an application in IIS or virtual dir [which have no
entries]. In this hosted enviroment, I control the app via IIS manager 7.
See
http://people.places.work.tripod.c...

Technical address deodiaus-2.hosting.parking.ru
Home directory d:\users\deodiaus-1\deodiaus-2\WWWRoot
How do I set it up so that
d:\users\deodiaus-1\deodiaus-2\WWWRoot\ppw
is the virtual dir?

"Juan T. Llibre" <nomailreplies@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> re:
> Also, is the directory "ppw" marked as an application in IIS, or at least
> as a virtual directory ?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> How do I set it up so that
!> d:\users\deodiaus-1\deodiaus-2\WWWRoot\ppw
!> is the virtual dir?

In : > http://people.places.work.tripod.c...
....what does the "View Virtual Directories" link show you ?

You also have a "Manage Website" tab ( under the "View Virtual Dirs" link ).
Doesn't that lead to where you can setup virtual directories ?

If not, check with tripod.com's support...and ask them.