microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

System.Reflection.Emit and Namespaces

Gareth

5/13/2008 4:00:00 PM

Don't know if this is the place to ask but..

I am writing a compiler for .net as a way of learning about how
the .net languages and the CLR work and I am confused about how
references and namespaces work with the Emit namespace. I am trying
to parse the using and namespace keywords and I am not sure how these
are handled using the Emit classes.

When parsing things like expressions I can see from MSDN that I use
the ILGenerator to emit opcodes for load integer and add etc, but I
haven't found much material on there on how to deal with namespaces
and references/qualified names etc. There isn't anything like a
NamespaceBuilder to match the AssemblyBuilder class!!

Any pointers or useful links would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Gareth

"A namespace is nothing more than a prefix that a group of classes
share." http://www.theserverside.net/tt/articles/showarticle.tss...

So I don't think namespaces have any "real" presence in the CLR, it is
just a way of thinking about qualified type names.

Anyone?