microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

Computer Monitor and USB devices won't come out of Standby

Forbeskin

5/10/2008 1:26:00 AM

I am having a problem where I bring my computer out of Standby and the hard
drive spins up but niether the Monitor or any USB devices start up. I am
running XP Home. This problem has only started in the last week.
3 Answers

RobinS

Try posting your question to a newsgroup with "Windows" and "XP" in the
description. This is a .Net Programming newsgroup.

RobinS.
GoldMail.com

"Forbeskin" <Forbeskin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having a problem where I bring my computer out of Standby and the hard
> drive spins up but niether the Monitor or any USB devices start up. I am
> running XP Home. This problem has only started in the last week.

Forbeskin

I would Robin but the whole webpage is garbage and impossible for a novice to
get around. I have no idea which of the million and one topics to list it
under as the drop down list only says General discussion!!!!!

"RobinS" wrote:

> Try posting your question to a newsgroup with "Windows" and "XP" in the
> description. This is a .Net Programming newsgroup.
>
> RobinS.
> GoldMail.com
>
> "Forbeskin" <Forbeskin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having a problem where I bring my computer out of Standby and the hard
> > drive spins up but niether the Monitor or any USB devices start up. I am
> > running XP Home. This problem has only started in the last week.

Peter Duniho

On Fri, 09 May 2008 23:03:01 -0700, Forbeskin =

<Forbeskin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I would Robin but the whole webpage is garbage and impossible for a =

> novice to
> get around. I have no idea which of the million and one topics to list=
it
> under as the drop down list only says General discussion!!!!!

Your description doesn't make much sense. If I go to the Microsoft =

Communities newsgroup portal and navigate down to the "General Discussio=
n" =

topic under "Windows", I get the actual Windows "General Discussion" =

newsgroup, aka "microsoft.public.windowsxp.general" =

(http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.a...
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general), =

not this one.

Many novices figure it out just fine. Frankly, you have to work pretty =
=

hard to find your way to this newsgroup =

(microsoft.public.dotnet.framework), as it's deep within the "Developer =
=

Discussions" hierarchy. Yes, it also has the name "General Discussions"=
, =

but the navigation pane in the browser clearly shows it in the "English,=
=

Developer Discussions, Data Access Components, .NET, .NET" branch of the=
=

groups. Admittedly, it's an odd place for the general-purpose .NET =

Framework programming newsgroup (the "Data Access Components" aspect, th=
at =

is), but it's certainly not where one would expect to find answers about=
=

how to use Windows.

Maybe there's something funky about the way your browser works that led =
=

you down the wrong path, or perhaps you arrived at the group via some =

different route within the Microsoft web site. But even so, the standar=
d =

rule of etiquette before posting to any forum is to take a look at the =

existing messages, and try to follow the community standards. Frankly, =
if =

you'd bothered to look at any of the messages here, you'd have seen that=
=

it's not a newsgroup about fixing your computer problems.

Blaming your mistake on others isn't going to help you get an answer to =
=

your question. If you can't be bothered to put some effort into making =
=

sure you're asking the right group of people, why should you expect a =

useful answer at all? The fact that you were unable to identify the =

proper group in which to post your question doesn't justify posting it t=
o =

a random one and hoping for the best.

Pete