microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

TcpListener.Start error

IsisCoder

5/9/2008 4:59:00 PM

I am using a TcpListener to communicate between a windows app and a mobile
device app. I have used the same code for years and have had no trouble with
it until I started using it on a Vista machine. It seems to work fine for a
time, but at some point I get an "Invalid argument" exception. When I try to
run the application after this exception, on TcpListener.Start() I get the
following error: "An operation was attempted on something that is not a
socket".

Here is some of my code:
'instantiation
Const portNumber As Integer = 12347
Private oTcpListener As New
System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener(Net.IPAddress.Any,
portNumber)

'use
oTcpListener.Start()

using:
Visual Studio 2008 - .Net 2.0 as well as tried a .Net 3.5 version of the app

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Matt
2 Answers

Peter Duniho

On Fri, 09 May 2008 09:59:00 -0700, IsisCoder
<IsisCoder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> [...] It seems to work fine for a
> time, but at some point I get an "Invalid argument" exception. When I
> try to
> run the application after this exception, on TcpListener.Start() I get
> the
> following error: "An operation was attempted on something that is not a
> socket".

Um. The "Invalid argument" exception is your problem, I think, not the
"...that is not a socket" when you call Start(). You should be looking
at, or at least posting and describing, the code that causes the "Invalid
argument" error.

Pete

IsisCoder

Yeah, I figured as much, but I'm having trouble getting back to that first
exception. As I said, after I get the first "Invalid argument" exception all
I get is the "socket" exception, and I'm not exactly sure how to get it back
to its initial state. Recompiling and rebooting don't do the trick, so I
guess that's what I have to figure out first.

Thanks for your input... more to come.