ASP.NET vs Ruby on Rails

Stephen Kellett

6/24/2005 6:47:00 PM

HI Folks,

Anyone here done both ASP.NET and Rails? Care to compare and contrast?
I'm not interested in MS bashing, just the pros and cons of both
environments.

The reason I ask is that I've just read on joelonsoftware that he thinks
ASP.NET is excellent and is the best solution for server based work
presented on a website. I wonder if anyone thinks thats a valid
statement or not and can provide arguments for/against that point of
view.

If ASP.NET does offer superior things to Rails, what can be done to
Rails and/or Ruby to change things?

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/sof...

Paul Mitchell

Adam P. Jenkins

Stephen Kellett wrote:
> HI Folks,
>
> Anyone here done both ASP.NET and Rails? Care to compare and contrast?
> I'm not interested in MS bashing, just the pros and cons of both
> environments.
>
> The reason I ask is that I've just read on joelonsoftware that he thinks
> ASP.NET is excellent and is the best solution for server based work
> presented on a website. I wonder if anyone thinks thats a valid
> statement or not and can provide arguments for/against that point of view.
>
> If ASP.NET does offer superior things to Rails, what can be done to
> Rails and/or Ruby to change things?

Unless "Joel" has tried every other available web app framework,
including Rails, then I wouldn't give too much weight to his claim. It
just means ASP.NET is his favorite framework of the ones he's tried.

I haven't seriously used ASP.NET, but I have taken a look at it. I
think it's more well designed than Rails in some ways, but the bottom
line for me is that it's so MS-centric, from the SDK all the way to the
servers it runs under. If that's not a problem for you then there are
some definite advantages to .NET, but for all projects I've worked on,
being tied to a MS platform wasn't an option.

Adam

Bill Guindon

On 6/24/05, Stephen Kellett <snail@objmedia.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> HI Folks,
>
> Anyone here done both ASP.NET and Rails? Care to compare and contrast?
> I'm not interested in MS bashing, just the pros and cons of both
> environments.

Some comparisons here:
http://dema.ru...articles/2005/04/29/rails-vs-asp-net-...
http://dema.ru...

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Corey

On Friday 24 June 2005 01:02 pm, Adam P. Jenkins wrote:
> the bottom line for me is that it's so MS-centric, from the SDK all the way
> to the servers it runs under. If that's not a problem for you then there
> are some definite advantages to .NET, but for all projects I've worked on,
> being tied to a MS platform wasn't an option.

http://www.mono-project.com...

http://www.mono-project.c...

I'm not saying I like ASP.NET ( or any of the .NET framework ), because I
don't - but I had to point out that due to mono, it's not as MS-centric as
you suggest.

Cheers,

Corey

Stephen Kellett

In message <67a2229205062413531feab82d@mail.gmail.com>, Bill Guindon
<agorilla@gmail.com> writes
>Some comparisons here:
>http://dema.ruby.com.br/articles/2005/04/29/rails-vs-asp-net-...

Well that page says he is going to write some articles. I can't find how
to read the articles he has written (there are no links to his
articles). There is a syndication link but I have no idea how to read
anything provided by that. Clicking on it just brings up loads of XML.

So how do I read the syndicated stuff? This has all passed me by - too
busy writing software to keep up with web trends.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/sof...

Mando Escamilla

I believe you need to set your LOAD_PATH to include /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8,
rather than your PATH. Give it a try and see if that helps.

--
Mando

On 6/24/05, Paul Mitchell <pmitchel@email.unc.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> I've just installed ruby-1.8.2 on OS X 10.3.9 in order to try and run
> instiki-0.10.1. I'm gettig an error, right off the bat with instiki:
>
> ../instiki
> ../script/server:4:in `require': No such file to load -- optparse
> (LoadError)
> from ./script/server:4
> from ./instiki:6:in `load'
> from ./instiki:6
> bp01:/tmp/instiki-0.10.1 root# cd ..
>
> which, of course, means that the script/server ruby file cannot resolve
> the few require statements at the top:
>
> require 'webrick'
> require 'optparse'
> require 'fileutils'
>
> (note: I downloaded a separate webrick before I realized that the *rb
> files were located in /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/, which is why we squeak
> past this one).
>
> I've changed my PATH to include this directory:
>
> echo $PATH
>
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8:/usr/local/sge/bin/darwin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
>
> but it doesn't find it. Every illustration I've found so far seems to
> notuse fully qualified pathnames i nthe require statement - how then do I
> direct ruby to these modules?
>
> Thank for any help,
>
> Paul Mitchell

> Paul Mitchell
> email: pmitchel@email.unc.edu
> phone: (919) 962-9778
> office: I have an office, room 14, Phillips Hall

Zaninsk

Since you can develop ASP.net applications with Ruby, i say go with ASP.net.
If you prefer only ruby go with Wee instead of Rails. Wee is really cool.

Bill Guindon

On 6/24/05, Stephen Kellett <snail@objmedia.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <67a2229205062413531feab82d@mail.gmail.com>, Bill Guindon
> <agorilla@gmail.com> writes
> >Some comparisons here:
> >http://dema.ru...articles/2005/04/29/rails-vs-asp-net-...
>
> Well that page says he is going to write some articles. I can't find how
> to read the articles he has written (there are no links to his
> articles). There is a syndication link but I have no idea how to read
> anything provided by that. Clicking on it just brings up loads of XML.
>
> So how do I read the syndicated stuff? This has all passed me by - too
> busy writing software to keep up with web trends.

That was his initial post, the followups are all on the main page:
http://dema.ru...

start at the bottom, and work your way to the top, you'll see a mix of
Ruby/Ajax/ASP/Rails in there.

Corey wrote:
> On Friday 24 June 2005 01:02 pm, Adam P. Jenkins wrote:
>
>>the bottom line for me is that it's so MS-centric, from the SDK all the way
>>to the servers it runs under. If that's not a problem for you then there
>>are some definite advantages to .NET, but for all projects I've worked on,
>>being tied to a MS platform wasn't an option.
>>

> http://www.mono-project.com...
>
> http://www.mono-project.c...
>

> I'm not saying I like ASP.NET ( or any of the .NET framework ), because I
> don't - but I had to point out that due to mono, it's not as MS-centric as
> you suggest.

I'm aware of Mono, but I've been told that while Mono does allow you to
use the base ASP.NET functionality, enough of the useful .NET
functionality is proprietary and Windows-specific that in practice you
won't usually be able to take an existing .NET app and run it using
Mono. Since I've not actually seriously used .NET I don't know if this
is FUD or for real.

Adam

Stephen Kellett

In message <67a2229205062414546ffddaa@mail.gmail.com>, Bill Guindon
<agorilla@gmail.com> writes
>That was his initial post, the followups are all on the main page:
>http://dema.ru...

Doh! Thanks.

Thats what you get for late night swimming then starting cooking your
evening meal at 11pm...

Stephen