[ANN] AllInOneRuby 0.2.5

Erik Veenstra

6/20/2005 10:39:00 PM

I just released AllInOneRuby 0.2.5.

As you know, Ruby has to be installed, either by unzipping a
ZIP-file, or by running an installer. Only then, you can run a
script. Well, not anymore!

AllInOneRuby creates a compressed executable for Windows, Linux
or Mac OS X (Darwin) that includes both the Ruby interpreter
and the runtime libraries. Why? Because it's sometimes not
easy, or possible, or desirable, or allowed to do a complete
Ruby installation. That's where AllInOneRuby comes in. I always
have a USB-memory stick with AllInOneRuby in my pocket.

A "just-in-time and temporary installation of Ruby"...

More information and download on:
http://www.erikve...allinoneruby/...

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikve...

Only one change:

* Fixed a bug concerning --site handling.

Joe Van Dyk

On 6/20/05, Erik Veenstra <pan@erikveen.dds.nl> wrote:
> I just released AllInOneRuby 0.2.5.
>
> As you know, Ruby has to be installed, either by unzipping a
> ZIP-file, or by running an installer. Only then, you can run a
> script. Well, not anymore!
>
> AllInOneRuby creates a compressed executable for Windows, Linux
> or Mac OS X (Darwin) that includes both the Ruby interpreter
> and the runtime libraries. Why? Because it's sometimes not
> easy, or possible, or desirable, or allowed to do a complete
> Ruby installation. That's where AllInOneRuby comes in. I always
> have a USB-memory stick with AllInOneRuby in my pocket.
>
> A "just-in-time and temporary installation of Ruby"...
>
> More information and download on:
> http://www.erikve...allinoneruby/...
>
> gegroet,
> Erik V. - http://www.erikve...

Wow, very cool.

If I need a couple of Tk extensions to be used with a Ruby
application, how could I modify AllInOneRuby to do that?

Erik Veenstra

> > AllInOneRuby creates a compressed executable for Windows,
> > Linux or Mac OS X (Darwin) that includes both the Ruby
> > interpreter and the runtime libraries. Why? Because it's
> > sometimes not easy, or possible, or desirable, or allowed
> > to do a complete Ruby installation. That's where
> > AllInOneRuby comes in. I always have a USB-memory stick
> > with AllInOneRuby in my pocket.
> >
> > A "just-in-time and temporary installation of Ruby"...
>
> Wow, very cool.
>
> If I need a couple of Tk extensions to be used with a Ruby
> application, how could I modify AllInOneRuby to do that?

RubyScript2Exe [1] and AllInOneRuby [2] are very similar.
RubyScript2Exe has experimental support for TK, but
AllInOneRuby hasn't. So, you might try to copy and adjust the
block of code involved with TK handling from RubyScript2Exe to
AllInOneRuby.

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikve...

[1] http://www.erikve...rubyscript2exe/index.html