Anybody using Ruby 1.6.x?

Tim Hunter

6/19/2005 4:15:00 PM

With Ruby 1.8.3 on the horizon, should I continue to support building
RMagick for Ruby 1.6.7 and 1.6.8? Is anybody still using these versions?
Is any commonly-used Linux distro shipping with one of these versions
of Ruby?
5 Answers

Ara.T.Howard

acharlieblue

Timothy Hunter wrote:
> With Ruby 1.8.3 on the horizon, should I continue to support building
> RMagick for Ruby 1.6.7 and 1.6.8? Is anybody still using these versions?
> Is any commonly-used Linux distro shipping with one of these versions
> of Ruby?

Don't know about Linux distros, but the most common version of Mac OS X
(10.3, since some people still haven't upgraded to 10.4 yet) came with
1.6.8. I usually recommend installing your own ruby on 10.3, though,
since readline support is broken in the preinstalled one and I don't
think it even included ri or rdoc.

Steven Jenkins

Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Timothy Hunter wrote:
>> Is
>> any commonly-used Linux distro shipping with one of these versions of
>> Ruby?
>

> yes. all the redhat enterprise linux distros. this is the official
> government os for certain departments - we have thousands of machines
> running
> 1.6.8, which is the official redhat rpm. it's the bane of my existence.
> anyone know who to talk to at redhat to convice them to use a more modern
> ruby?

You might try soliciting the Government Open Source Advisory Committee.
(http://www.egovos...). Maybe nominate yourself as the Ruby chair?

There's also some DoD organization that deals with open source. I can't
think of the name of it and couldn't find it in casual Googling, but you
might be able to.

Steve

Ara.T.Howard

Christian Neukirchen

"Charles Steinman" <acharlieblue@gmail.com> writes:

> Timothy Hunter wrote:
>> With Ruby 1.8.3 on the horizon, should I continue to support building
>> RMagick for Ruby 1.6.7 and 1.6.8? Is anybody still using these versions?
>> Is any commonly-used Linux distro shipping with one of these versions
>> of Ruby?
>
> Don't know about Linux distros, but the most common version of Mac OS X
> (10.3, since some people still haven't upgraded to 10.4 yet) came with
> 1.6.8. I usually recommend installing your own ruby on 10.3, though,
> since readline support is broken in the preinstalled one and I don't
> think it even included ri or rdoc.

And, from what I've heard, it's also a good idea to install your own
Ruby on 10.4, as there is a nasty bug related to (un)pack and endianess.

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...