[ANN] Syntax 1.0.0

Jamis Buck

6/18/2005 8:47:00 PM

INTRODUCING SYNTAX 1.0! IT'S EXPLOSIVE! IT'LL MAKE A REAL PROGRAMMER
OUT OF YOU! IT'LL EAT YOUR DOG AND DISCOVER URANIUM IN YOUR BACKYARD!

Well, perhaps not all that. There is really only one new feature in
this release--otherwise, it's just several bug fixes that have been
languishing in my SVN repository.

Project page: http://rubyforge.org/proje...
User manual: http://syntax.rub...
API Docs: http://syntax.rub.../api

New feature:

* (optionally) syntax highlight interpolated expressions.

New API:

* Added an accessor for the tokenizer, so that options can be set on
the tokenizer used by the convertor.

Bugs that have been fixed in this release:

* Correctly handle \r\n newlines as well as \n.
* Ruby tokenizer: handle ?\ at EOL
* bug #1709, "? is always interpreted as a character literal"
* bug #1710, ":123 is interpreted as a Symbol", and generally
robustified symbol interpretation
* bug #1717, "Foo in obj.Foo(...) is interpreted as a constant"
* bug #1716, "0b0111000, 0xDEADFEED, 0o1234 and 0d123456 style number
literals are not highlighted properly"

Enjoy,

Jamis

5 Answers

Gary Wright

On Jun 18, 2005, at 4:46 PM, Jamis Buck wrote:
> INTRODUCING SYNTAX 1.0! IT'S EXPLOSIVE! IT'LL MAKE A REAL
> PROGRAMMER OUT OF YOU! IT'LL EAT YOUR DOG AND DISCOVER URANIUM IN
> YOUR BACKYARD!

I'm not trying to pick on Syntax in particular but it seems
to me that in many cases it isn't possible to figure out the
purpose of packages/projects/gems from the announcement
message. This is particularly obvious with updates/bug fixes
rather than the initial announcement.

I'd like to suggest at least a one line description of the package
be included in any announcement.

Gary Wright

Bill Guindon

On 6/18/05, gwtmp01@mac.com <gwtmp01@mac.com> wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2005, at 4:46 PM, Jamis Buck wrote:
> > INTRODUCING SYNTAX 1.0! IT'S EXPLOSIVE! IT'LL MAKE A REAL
> > PROGRAMMER OUT OF YOU! IT'LL EAT YOUR DOG AND DISCOVER URANIUM IN
> > YOUR BACKYARD!
>
> I'm not trying to pick on Syntax in particular but it seems
> to me that in many cases it isn't possible to figure out the
> purpose of packages/projects/gems from the announcement
> message. This is particularly obvious with updates/bug fixes
> rather than the initial announcement.
>
> I'd like to suggest at least a one line description of the package
> be included in any announcement.

+1

(although clearly Jamis has that covered with the dog and the plutonium)

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Jamis Buck

On Jun 18, 2005, at 4:53 PM, gwtmp01@mac.com wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2005, at 4:46 PM, Jamis Buck wrote:
>
>> INTRODUCING SYNTAX 1.0! IT'S EXPLOSIVE! IT'LL MAKE A REAL
>> PROGRAMMER OUT OF YOU! IT'LL EAT YOUR DOG AND DISCOVER URANIUM IN
>> YOUR BACKYARD!
>>

> I'm not trying to pick on Syntax in particular but it seems
> to me that in many cases it isn't possible to figure out the
> purpose of packages/projects/gems from the announcement
> message. This is particularly obvious with updates/bug fixes
> rather than the initial announcement.

It's okay. Syntax is a mature library. It can take a fair bit of
picking on. :)

I apologize. I was in such a hurry to release this library and get
the languishing bug fixes off my mind that I completely forgot to
describe what the library is for.

Syntax is a lexical analysis framework, specifically for producing
syntax highlighted output of source code. It currently highlights
Ruby, XML, and YAML, and emits HTML, although you can write your own
syntax libraries and conversion modules. (The user manual describes
how to do this.)

Hope that's a bit clearer than the original announcement. ;)

- Jamis

james_b

gwtmp01@mac.com wrote:

> I'd like to suggest at least a one line description of the package
> be included in any announcement.

Always good to get a reminder of this.

And, ideally, something other than "Arcania4R is the Ruby port of
Arcania, the very useful but unknown to you lib from another language."

James

Jim Weirich

On Saturday 18 June 2005 06:53 pm, gwtmp01@mac.com wrote:
> I'm not trying to pick on Syntax in particular but it seems
> to me that in many cases it isn't possible to figure out the
> purpose of packages/projects/gems from the announcement
> message. This is particularly obvious with updates/bug fixes
> rather than the initial announcement.

I've started putting my announcements in the CVS tree, so I just copy the
announcement, edit the changed features list, update any thing else that
needs it, and leave the description more or less in place.

--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org http://onest...