gemserver for rubyforge projects

Eric Mahurin

6/17/2005 7:16:00 PM

Anybody else think it would be nice if we had a gemserver
running on rubyforge (or wherever) that had documentation for
all available gems on rubyforge? I think all that would be
needed would be to have some machine install all gems (and new
ones as they are uploaded) and have a gemserver running. This
would allow people to get at the docs without having to install
the gem or the developer wouldn't have to upload the docs on
every release. It would also be nice to have links in the
rubyforge project page to the gemserver.

__________________________________
Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/...

4 Answers

Jim Freeze

* Eric Mahurin <eric_mahurin@yahoo.com> [2005-06-18 04:15:40 +0900]:

> Anybody else think it would be nice if we had a gemserver
> running on rubyforge (or wherever) that had documentation for
> all available gems on rubyforge? I think all that would be
> needed would be to have some machine install all gems (and new
> ones as they are uploaded) and have a gemserver running. This
> would allow people to get at the docs without having to install
> the gem or the developer wouldn't have to upload the docs on
> every release. It would also be nice to have links in the
> rubyforge project page to the gemserver.

Would be nice if rubygems had a doc only install so that you
could install docs for all gems, reqardless of architecture.

--
Jim Freeze

Chad Fowler

On 6/17/05, Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote:
> * Eric Mahurin <eric_mahurin@yahoo.com> [2005-06-18 04:15:40 +0900]:
>
> > Anybody else think it would be nice if we had a gemserver
> > running on rubyforge (or wherever) that had documentation for
> > all available gems on rubyforge? I think all that would be
> > needed would be to have some machine install all gems (and new
> > ones as they are uploaded) and have a gemserver running. This
> > would allow people to get at the docs without having to install
> > the gem or the developer wouldn't have to upload the docs on
> > every release. It would also be nice to have links in the
> > rubyforge project page to the gemserver.
>
> Would be nice if rubygems had a doc only install so that you
> could install docs for all gems, reqardless of architecture.
>
> --

I've added the doc-only install idea to our list.

Thanks.

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...

Eric Mahurin

--- Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/17/05, Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> wrote:
> > * Eric Mahurin <eric_mahurin@yahoo.com> [2005-06-18
> 04:15:40 +0900]:
> >
> > > Anybody else think it would be nice if we had a gemserver
> > > running on rubyforge (or wherever) that had documentation
> for
> > > all available gems on rubyforge? I think all that would
> be
> > > needed would be to have some machine install all gems
> (and new
> > > ones as they are uploaded) and have a gemserver running.
> This
> > > would allow people to get at the docs without having to
> install
> > > the gem or the developer wouldn't have to upload the docs
> on
> > > every release. It would also be nice to have links in
> the
> > > rubyforge project page to the gemserver.
> >
> > Would be nice if rubygems had a doc only install so that
> you
> > could install docs for all gems, reqardless of
> architecture.
> >
> > --
>
> I've added the doc-only install idea to our list.

I made an official feature request for this on rubyforge. Tom
Copeland likes the idea. But, he wants the "doc-only" option.
He asked me to bug the rubygems guys about it, so ... can you
up the priority?

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=104&aid=2044&...

Yahoo! Mail
http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mai...

Cameron McBride

> > Anybody else think it would be nice if we had a gemserver
> > running on rubyforge (or wherever) that had documentation
> > for all available gems on rubyforge?

> I've added the doc-only install idea to our list.

both ideas are nice. +1; +1