Truth maintenance system in Ruby

Its Me

6/17/2005 2:42:00 PM

Anyone know of any kind of truth-maintenance system implemented in Ruby (or,
alternately, easily accessible from Ruby)?

Thanks.

11 Answers

Curt Hibbs

itsme213 wrote:
> Anyone know of any kind of truth-maintenance system implemented in Ruby (or,
> alternately, easily accessible from Ruby)?

What is a truth-maintenance system?

Curt

Ara.T.Howard

Robert Klemme

Ara.T.Howard wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Curt Hibbs wrote:
>
>> itsme213 wrote:
>>> Anyone know of any kind of truth-maintenance system implemented in
>>> Ruby (or,
>>> alternately, easily accessible from Ruby)?
>>
>> What is a truth-maintenance system?
>
> the kgb?
>
> ;-)

loop do
true = true unless true
end

:-)

robert

Its Me

Sorry, I should have elaborated. It is an AI/logic/rule-based system that
typically handles:

- a collection of assertions
- the network of [rules + assertions] that support each assertion

And hence figures out which assertions should be "true".

This is used for various things, such as:
- to provide justification for claims or assertions
- to support default-based reasoning
- to allow reasoning in the presence of inconsistencies
- broadly, to support a style of reasoning called "non-monotonic reasoning"
i.e. reasoning in which stuff you believe to be true (or at least plausible)
at one stage may become revised later as you add more information, or as you
change your "hypotheses".

Thanks.

James Gray

On Jun 17, 2005, at 11:20 AM, itsme213 wrote:

> Sorry, I should have elaborated. It is an AI/logic/rule-based
> system that
> typically handles:
>
> - a collection of assertions
> - the network of [rules + assertions] that support each assertion
>
> And hence figures out which assertions should be "true".
>
> This is used for various things, such as:
> - to provide justification for claims or assertions
> - to support default-based reasoning
> - to allow reasoning in the presence of inconsistencies
> - broadly, to support a style of reasoning called "non-monotonic
> reasoning"
> i.e. reasoning in which stuff you believe to be true (or at least
> plausible)
> at one stage may become revised later as you add more information,
> or as you
> change your "hypotheses".

This is starting to sound like a yummy Ruby Quiz to me... :)

James Edward Gray II

Bill Guindon

On 6/17/05, itsme213 <itsme213@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I should have elaborated. It is an AI/logic/rule-based system that
> typically handles:
>
> - a collection of assertions
> - the network of [rules + assertions] that support each assertion
>
> And hence figures out which assertions should be "true".
>
> This is used for various things, such as:
> - to provide justification for claims or assertions
> - to support default-based reasoning
> - to allow reasoning in the presence of inconsistencies
> - broadly, to support a style of reasoning called "non-monotonic reasoning"
> i.e. reasoning in which stuff you believe to be true (or at least plausible)
> at one stage may become revised later as you add more information, or as you
> change your "hypotheses".

Cool stuff. Sounds like something similar to the logic behind 20q.net.
http://y.20... (you can just click 'play' without filling in form)

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

james_b

itsme213 wrote:
> Anyone know of any kind of truth-maintenance system implemented in Ruby (or,
> alternately, easily accessible from Ruby)?

Hmmm. This sounds as if some coercion is involved ....

James

--

http://www.ru... - The Ruby Documentation Site
http://www.r... - News, Articles, and Listings for Ruby & XML

Matthew Desmarais

James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2005, at 11:20 AM, itsme213 wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I should have elaborated. It is an AI/logic/rule-based system
>> that
>> typically handles:
>>
>> - a collection of assertions
>> - the network of [rules + assertions] that support each assertion
>>
>> And hence figures out which assertions should be "true".
>>
>> This is used for various things, such as:
>> - to provide justification for claims or assertions
>> - to support default-based reasoning
>> - to allow reasoning in the presence of inconsistencies
>> - broadly, to support a style of reasoning called "non-monotonic
>> reasoning"
>> i.e. reasoning in which stuff you believe to be true (or at least
>> plausible)
>> at one stage may become revised later as you add more information,
>> or as you
>> change your "hypotheses".
>

> This is starting to sound like a yummy Ruby Quiz to me... :)
>
> James Edward Gray II

I'm waiting to get involved with my first Ruby Quiz, and that might be
fun! It'd be a good excuse to re-visit the AI stuff that bored me when
I was required to study it for a class...

James Gray

On Jun 17, 2005, at 12:35 PM, Matthew Desmarais wrote:

> I'm waiting to get involved with my first Ruby Quiz, and that might
> be fun! It'd be a good excuse to re-visit the AI stuff that bored
> me when I was required to study it for a class...

Yeah, I've been looking to do some simple AI problems. I would love
to find a not-too-complicated genetics algorithm quiz too.

Anybody who writes up any ideas like this and sends them in before I
get around to them will be my hero...

James Edward Gray II

jason r tibbetts

James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Jun 17, 2005, at 12:35 PM, Matthew Desmarais wrote:
>
>> I'm waiting to get involved with my first Ruby Quiz, and that might
>> be fun! It'd be a good excuse to re-visit the AI stuff that bored me
>> when I was required to study it for a class...
>

> Yeah, I've been looking to do some simple AI problems. I would love to
> find a not-too-complicated genetics algorithm quiz too.
>
> Anybody who writes up any ideas like this and sends them in before I
> get around to them will be my hero...

I'm not volunteering to write anything up, but implementing a Bayesian
inference engine in Ruby sounds like the kind of task that would take a
day or two. I'll look in Sussman and Abelson's /The Structure and
Interpretation of Computer Programs/
(http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/boo...). Those
comfortable with Lisp/Scheme can take a gander at section 4.4.4 for
inspiration
(http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-29.html#%...)