Re: :Writer Angle Issues

Peter Fitzgibbons

6/16/2005 5:56:00 PM

-----Original Message-----
From: Austin Ziegler [mailto:halostatue@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 8:42 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: PDF::Writer Angle Issues

Well, things have just gotten ... interesting. In response to a user's
request, I'm looking at possibly doing SVG-to-PDF vector transformations
with PDF::Writer. In looking over the existing code, I realised that
there's some bugs in the axis transformation code related to how
rotation and skewing is done. The skewing is completely wrong. The
rotation is also completely wrong, but it's a much more subtle issue.

See, I have the transformation *backwards* in the text rotation.
Without going into much detail as to *why*, rotation code is supposed to
be on a vector of:

[ cos(a) sin(a) -sin(a) cos(a) 0 0 ]

The *text* rotation code, on the other hand, is:

[ cos(a) -sin(a) sin(a) cos(a) 0 0 ]

This inversion *reverses* the direction of the angle.

Consider an analog clock. In both systems, zero degrees is at the three
o'clock position. Under the current text rotation, 90 degrees is at the
six o'clock position (headed DOWN the page); under the common
transformation, it is at the 12 o'clock position (headed UP the page).

PDF::Writer 1.0 has been released with this behaviour. Changing it will
be very simple ... but it will break anyone's code that uses angles. At
the same time, if I use the broken transformation, then I have to work
harder at things like SVG or RVG transformations. I'm definitely between
a rock and a hard place here. The longer I wait to fix this, the more
people that will be affected by it.

I want the text angle and the graphics axis angle to mean the same thing
(either clockwise or counter-clockwise).

I'm looking for advice, people. I'm tempted to release 1.1 with this
fix; it's incompatible behaviour but compatible API, and the only change
necessary to your code would be to *negate* the angle.

-austin
--

Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

I say fix it and add a switch to obey the -deprecated functionality.

'Wish microsoft approached bugs this way.

Peter J. Fitzgibbons
Applications Manager
Lakewood Homes - "The American Dream Builder"(r)
Peter.Fitzgibbons@Lakewoodhomes.net
(847) 884-8800