Re: Way Off Topic Re: Funniest Thing Evar!

Neville Burnell

6/16/2005 3:12:00 AM

> Decades back I wrote a Lisa-like psycho-analysis program
> in an early version of M$ Basic. While using it I noticed
> a small bug in it and said "list" to list the program.

> I had forgotten I was still talking to the program so my
> train of thought was totally derailed when the computer replied...

> Really?

> Why?

Back in my uni days, a similar thing happened to a comp-sci friend of
mine.

We were working on a VAX-VMS system, and the project [and heavily
overloaded machine] was frustrating my friend, so he typed [monty python
style]

RUN AWAY

And the terminal echoed

RUNNING AWAY ...

A few seconds passed while we all looked on gobsmacked, until the
teminal continued

<ERROR 43-1> PROGRAM 'AWAY' NOT FOUND

2 Answers

Jim Weirich

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 11:11 pm, Neville Burnell wrote:
>> We were working on a VAX-VMS system, and the project [and heavily
> overloaded machine] was frustrating my friend, so he typed [monty python
> style]
>
> RUN AWAY
>
> And the terminal echoed
>
> RUNNING AWAY ...
>
> A few seconds passed while we all looked on gobsmacked, until the
> teminal continued
>
> <ERROR 43-1> PROGRAM 'AWAY' NOT FOUND

Here's my story: Again back in the "old" days I was having a particularly
hard time getting this one program to run correctly. Not normally given to
strong language, I was so frustrated I typed HELL and the command line and
pressed a return.

The system prompted logged me out!

It turns out the system really didn't care about my choice of words. It was
just that HELL was a proper abbreviation for HELLO, which (for reasons I
never fully understood) was an alias for BYE or LOGOUT.

--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org http://onest...

Jim Weirich

On Thursday 16 June 2005 10:38 pm, Jim Weirich wrote:
> The system prompted logged me out!
s/prompted/promptly/

Makes more sense that way.

--