survey: what editor do you use to hack ruby?

Lowell

6/14/2005 10:55:00 AM

I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

Lowell
60 Answers

Martin DeMello

Lowell Kirsh <lkirsh@cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
> I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
> which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
> what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

I use gvim. Here's a list of editors with tweaks to get them ruby-aware:

http://rubygarden.org/ruby?Editor...

martin

Alexandru Popescu

#: the mind was *winged* after Lowell Kirsh said on 6/14/2005 1:00 PM :#
> I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
> which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
> what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?
>
> Lowell

ArachnoRuby - great product; gonna be even greater

:alex |.::the_mindstorm::.|

Curt Hibbs

Lowell Kirsh wrote:
> I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
> which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
> what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

I use FreeRIDE:

http://freeride.ruby...

Curt

David Jacobs

2005/6/14, Lowell Kirsh <lkirsh@cs.ubc.ca>:
> I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
> which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
> what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

I use Eclipse [1] with the Ruby Development Tools-plugin [2].

Cheers,
David

[1] http://www.ec...
[2] http://rubyeclipse.source...

Lowell

Sweet. I didn't know such a thing existed. Is it mature?

Lowell

David Jacobs wrote:
> 2005/6/14, Lowell Kirsh <lkirsh@cs.ubc.ca>:
>
>>I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
>>which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
>>what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?
>

> I use Eclipse [1] with the Ruby Development Tools-plugin [2].
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> [1] http://www.ec...
> [2] http://rubyeclipse.source...

David Jacobs

2005/6/14, Lowell Kirsh <lkirsh@cs.ubc.ca>:
> Sweet. I didn't know such a thing existed. Is it mature?

Well, I've never used many IDEs before so I don't know how to compare
nor what to expect from a mature IDE. Eclipse is mature ofcourse, RDT
is still work in progress. I've tried other IDEs -- the others already
mentioned here and JEdit (http://www...) -- but Eclipse was to
one which worked very intuitive for me. It's subjective, I know. ;-)

Cheers,
David

> David Jacobs wrote:
> > 2005/6/14, Lowell Kirsh <lkirsh@cs.ubc.ca>:
> >
> >>I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
> >>which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
> >>what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?
> >

> > I use Eclipse [1] with the Ruby Development Tools-plugin [2].
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David
> >
> > [1] http://www.ec...
> > [2] http://rubyeclipse.source...

jeem.hughes

TextMate (on OS X)

R. Mark Volkmann

Quoting Lowell Kirsh <lkirsh@cs.ubc.ca>:

> I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
> which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
> what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

I've been using gvim for the past two months. It's been an interesting
experiment. I used to hate vi, but was somewhat forced into this due to some
very restrictive network access. This turned into a quest to answer the
question "Would I be more productive if I moved the mouse away and focused on
doing everything from the keyboard?" For me the answer, after some learning
curve, has been yes. I think the target audience for vi and clones like gvim
is people that want to keep their hands on the keyboard in order to increase
their productivity.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Partner, Object Computing, Inc.

Devin Mullins

Lowell Kirsh wrote:

> I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
> which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to
> ownder: what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

I'm using the aforementioned jEdit (http://www....) and Ruby
plugin (http://www....ruby/). (Note, if you go to install the
plugin, that it fails to list one dependency in the instructions:
ErrorList.)

I've only used it for a week (for that matter, I've only used Ruby for
two and a half), but the color highlighting is fine (not perfect - $ in
a Regex, __END__ throw it off for example), and the integrated ri is
nice, though it fails to mention a given classes superclass and mixins,
so I still end up flipping between the IDE and Firefox. There's also a
rough autocomplete (shows you whatever's in rdoc, regardless of the
owning class), though it rarely does any good. It does, however, do its
job of being a text editor with a "project" view to help you edit
multiple files at once.

That's not to knock it, Mr. Plugin Creator, wherever you are. It's new,
and I still like it.

Devin

Gavin Kistner

On Jun 14, 2005, at 5:00 AM, Lowell Kirsh wrote:
> I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with
> ruby which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me
> to ownder: what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

Windows: SciTE
MacOS X: TextMate (with BBEdit thrown into the mix)