encryption using ruby?

Nick Hayworth

6/13/2005 5:46:00 PM

Hi all

I need to be able to encrypt/decrypt a small text file, but I'm struggling a
little finding an encryption library.

I found Jamis Buck's previous post about using openssl for encryption and
whilst it works, I can't make head nor tails of the openssl docs at
ruby-docs.org. I can't find any of the methods Jamis used in his code...
there only seem to be two of them for the cipher module.. ?
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/openssl/rdoc/classes/OpenSSL/Cipher/C...

can anyone explain how the openssl library should be used please?

thanks
nick

3 Answers

james_b

Nick Hayworth wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I need to be able to encrypt/decrypt a small text file, but I'm struggling a
> little finding an encryption library.

See

http://ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...

for a pure-Ruby encryption lib.

James

--

http://www.ru... - The Ruby Documentation Site
http://www.r... - News, Articles, and Listings for Ruby & XML

Pelle Braendgaard

It took me some time to figure it out myself. Ive got a small wrapper
library that I use to simplify my life. When I get home I will post a
blog entry with it and how it works.

For my new project https://stak... (blatant plug alert), I am
doing alot of crypto using the OpenSSL libraries.

I will submit most of this and my encrypting ActiveRecord wrapper to
rails in a few weeks time, when I have time to clean it up a bit.

Pelle

On 6/13/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
> Nick Hayworth wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I need to be able to encrypt/decrypt a small text file, but I'm struggling a
> > little finding an encryption library.
>
> See
>
> http://ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...
>
> for a pure-Ruby encryption lib.
>
> James
>
> --
>
> http://www.ru... - The Ruby Documentation Site
> http://www.r... - News, Articles, and Listings for Ruby & XML
> http://www.rub... - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
> http://www.jame... - Playing with Better Toys

--
https://stak... + Stake out your own micro ventures
http://... + Geek blog

Pelle Braendgaard

Just posted a really quick small example of doing AES encryption using openssl :

http://stakeve.../articles/2005/06/16/cryp...

Pelle