gem can't install rails?

Robo

6/12/2005 5:57:00 PM

I had a real old version of Rails, so I wanted to upgrade it.

I typed in "gem update", and it seems to have updated all packages
except for rails. So I went "gem uninstall rails" then "gem install
rails", and this is what I got:

Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Successfully installed rails_analyzer_tools, version 1.0.0
Installing RDoc documentation for rails_analyzer_tools-1.0.0...

So it's installed some analyzer tools, but didn't install rails, I typed
in "gem list", and rails does not show up either. Why is that?

According to gems, my gem version is 0.8.10.

How come gem install isn't working for rails?

Robo
3 Answers

Steve Jothen

On 6/12/05, Robo <robo@mars.com> wrote:
> I had a real old version of Rails, so I wanted to upgrade it.
>
> I typed in "gem update", and it seems to have updated all packages
> except for rails. So I went "gem uninstall rails" then "gem install
> rails", and this is what I got:
>
> Attempting local installation of 'rails'
> Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
> Successfully installed rails_analyzer_tools, version 1.0.0
> Installing RDoc documentation for rails_analyzer_tools-1.0.0...

try 'gem install -b -v 0.12.1 rails' or replace 0.12.1 with whatever
version of rails you want to install

> So it's installed some analyzer tools, but didn't install rails, I typed
> in "gem list", and rails does not show up either. Why is that?
>
> According to gems, my gem version is 0.8.10.
>
> How come gem install isn't working for rails?
>
> Robo

Robo

I ended up downloading the gem of rails and installing it locally. Your
way will probably work too.

Why is RubyGems broken for rails though? Other gems seems fine.

Robo

Steve Jothen wrote:
> On 6/12/05, Robo <robo@mars.com> wrote:
>
>>I had a real old version of Rails, so I wanted to upgrade it.
>>
>>I typed in "gem update", and it seems to have updated all packages
>>except for rails. So I went "gem uninstall rails" then "gem install
>>rails", and this is what I got:
>>
>>Attempting local installation of 'rails'
>>Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
>>Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
>>Successfully installed rails_analyzer_tools, version 1.0.0
>>Installing RDoc documentation for rails_analyzer_tools-1.0.0...
>>

> try 'gem install -b -v 0.12.1 rails' or replace 0.12.1 with whatever
> version of rails you want to install
>

>>So it's installed some analyzer tools, but didn't install rails, I typed
>>in "gem list", and rails does not show up either. Why is that?
>>
>>According to gems, my gem version is 0.8.10.
>>
>>How come gem install isn't working for rails?
>>
>>Robo

Richard Livsey

Robo wrote:

>>> So I went "gem uninstall rails" then "gem install rails", and this
>>> is what I got:
>>>
>>> Attempting local installation of 'rails'
>>> Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
>>> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
>>> Successfully installed rails_analyzer_tools, version 1.0.0
>>> Installing RDoc documentation for rails_analyzer_tools-1.0.0...
>>
> Why is RubyGems broken for rails though? Other gems seems fine.
>
> Robo

This came up a few days ago (post on the 6th with subject of "'gem
install rails' does not work?" and Eric Hodel responded with:

> Eric Hodel wrote:
>
>> Already fixed:
>>
>> http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/rubygems/lib...
>> remote_installer.rb?cvsroot=rubygems