Re: python/ruby benchmark.

Dion Almaer

6/9/2005 9:40:00 PM

Actually, at a macro level there is no reason that Ruby or Python or Java
can not be as fast as C.

An example here is IronPython. Some of the python benchmarks run FASTER
under IronPython compared to the C Python.

Virtual Machine's are pretty darn smart now, and with the abstraction can do
smart things, like changing out the native code on the fly to end up with
smarter versions (vs. a one pass compilation step).

As an industry we often move up a chain, especially for app dev work.

I have never run into a bottleneck in a web application that occurred due to
the programming language. As soon as you are dealing with networks, disks,
and the like, architecture is always the key.

Just my 2p.

Cheers,

Dion