dave

6/8/2005 9:15:00 AM

what about a dedicatied mailing list for feedback?

--
>here are more things in heaven and earth,
horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

18 Answers

Austin Ziegler

On 6/8/05, dave <dave.m@email.it> wrote:
> what about a dedicatied mailing list for feedback?

Why?

ruby-talk is fine for discussions; ruby-core is great for technical
changes. David Black's RCRchive (rcrchive.net) captures change
requests; RubyForge has trackers for bugs and patches.

There's more than enough places to discuss feedback without adding Yet
Another Mailing List.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Robert Klemme

Austin Ziegler wrote:
> On 6/8/05, dave <dave.m@email.it> wrote:
>> what about a dedicatied mailing list for feedback?
>
> Why?
>
> ruby-talk is fine for discussions; ruby-core is great for technical
> changes. David Black's RCRchive (rcrchive.net) captures change
> requests; RubyForge has trackers for bugs and patches.
>
> There's more than enough places to discuss feedback without adding Yet
> Another Mailing List.

You're opposing YAML? Ts ts ts...
:-)

robert

PS: Sorry for the noise...

dave

> David Black's RCRchive (rcrchive.net) captures change requests;
and if this ml will be a frontend to rcr archive?

#
# rcr insert
#

#
insert: aTitleString
---
abstract:
we have to..

motivation:
when we..

proposal:
to avoid..

rationale:
"Proc.new"..

#
# rcr search
#

# in the e-mail subject..
search: aRegEx
isn't this fast and cool?

--
>here are more things in heaven and earth,
horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Austin Ziegler

On 6/8/05, dave <dave.m@email.it> wrote:
> > David Black's RCRchive (rcrchive.net) captures change requests;
> and if this ml will be a frontend to rcr archive?

Bad idea. There are too many bad RCRs out there anyway. Matz
emphasized that RCRs should be done in the way that RCRchive does them
because of the overall low quality of RCRs as they had been on the
RubyGarden page prior to RCRchive.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Gavin Kistner

On Jun 8, 2005, at 8:25 AM, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> Bad idea. There are too many bad RCRs out there anyway. Matz
> emphasized that RCRs should be done in the way that RCRchive does them
> because of the overall low quality of RCRs as they had been on the
> RubyGarden page prior to RCRchive.

To further elaborate: Potential RCRs should be discussed on the
mailing list prior to becoming a real RCR, to help find flaws in the
proposal and/or help refine it. I made the mistake when I first
started with Ruby of throwing in a bunch of RCRs, and finding out
that they were ill-conceived.

dave

> Potential RCRs should be discussed on the
> mailing list prior to becoming a real RCR

yes!
a mailing list is easy to use and has advantages also for
you: a local copy of all rc in maildir format :)

--
>here are more things in heaven and earth,
horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Austin Ziegler

On 6/8/05, dave <dave.m@email.it> wrote:
> > Potential RCRs should be discussed on the
> > mailing list prior to becoming a real RCR
> yes!
> a mailing list is easy to use and has advantages also for
> you: a local copy of all rc in maildir format :)

no!

The mailing list for this already exists: ruby-talk.

The place for formal RCRs already exists: RCRchive.

There is no need for anything else.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

dave

> There is no need for anything else.
it's an improvement.
you gain in time and quality of service.

--
>here are more things in heaven and earth,
horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Thomas Adam

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 05:30:13AM +0900, dave wrote:

> > There is no need for anything else.
>
> it's an improvement you gain in time and quality of service .

This list is busy enough, without the hollow tirade you seem hell-bent
in persuing. In my opinion, there's no need for yet *another*
mailing-list. Even if you split it (for argument's sake) I can already
envisage the cross-posting/forwarding scenario, for which would be even
worse.

We don't need another mailing-list.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"

dave

> there's no need for yet *another* mailing-list
now. but with a dedicated list a novice would be happier
to express his opinion and the whole comunity will seem
more interested to user opinion.

> the cross-posting/forwarding scenario
i think nobody won't have any reason or interest in
cross posting