Re: DBI Oracle error

Warren Brown

6/7/2005 9:49:00 PM

Graham,

> Error message: ORA-01722: invalid number

This error is caused by (surprise, surprise) Oracle not being able
to parse something as a number. I've seen this most often when a value
was completely missing from the VALUES clause. For example:

INSERT INTO mytable(col1,col2,col3) VALUES(1,,3)

You might try printing out the *exact* string that is getting
executed to see if it is indeed malformed.

> Any ideas how I debug this, as inserting "broken" rows
> manually via SQL*Plus succeeds every time (so it isn't
> the data).
> Is it a driver issue?

If you suspect that this is a driver issue, you can turn on logging
and tracing and set them to "Support" level. Look in Net Manager under
Local/Profile/General/Tracing (and Logging) and
Local/Listeners/YourListener/General Parameters/Logging & Tracing. This
will let you see exactly what the listener is actually being sent. It's
not easy to wade through all of the logging, but it *will* tell you
whether the driver is screwing up.

I hope this helps.

- Warren Brown

1 Answer

Graham

Warren/Daniel
Thanks for your suggestions. I will take them both on board for
investigation. Guess this is one way to learn a new language ;-)
Graham