Ruby/GSL: Problem with Installation on Cygwin

John from Arran

6/6/2005 11:30:00 AM

Hello,

I''ve gotten stuck while trying to install Ruby/GSL on Cygwin. I'm
doing this in Cygwin's bash-mode. In this mode, the command
"gsl-config --version" returns with 1.6. The default mode (i.e. simple
Windows command prompt) doesn't recognise this command, i.e.
gsl-config isn't found.

I made a small addition to ext/extconf.rb to print out the error that
results when I try to perform config. Here's resulting output to "ruby
setup.rb config":

bash-2.05b$ ruby setup.rb config
---> lib
---> lib/gsl
<--- lib/gsl
<--- lib
---> ext
c:/ruby/bin/ruby c:/lib/rb-gsl-1.6.3/ext/extconf.rb
checking gsl version... No such file or directory - gsl-config
--version
c:/lib/rb-gsl-1.6.3/ext/extconf.rb:140: Check GSL>=0.9.4 is installed,
and the command "gsl-config" is in search path. (RuntimeError)
setup.rb:535:in `command': 'system c:/ruby/bin/ruby
c:/lib/rb-gsl-1.6.3/ext/extconf.rb ' failed (RuntimeError)
from setup.rb:1112:in `extconf'
from setup.rb:1107:in `config_dir_ext'
from setup.rb:1321:in `__send__'
from setup.rb:1321:in `traverse'
from setup.rb:1319:in `dive_into'
from setup.rb:1319:in `traverse'
from setup.rb:1313:in `exec_task_traverse'
from setup.rb:1308:in `each'
from setup.rb:1308:in `exec_task_traverse'
from setup.rb:1097:in `exec_config'
from setup.rb:878:in `exec_config'
from setup.rb:710:in `__send__'
from setup.rb:710:in `invoke'
from setup.rb:674:in `invoke'
from setup.rb:1352

Please help. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Regards,

Dennis

5 Answers

William Black

Saracene wrote:
> On 30 Nov, 19:32, William Black <william.bl...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> AgitProp wrote:
>>> Absolutely! - Blackie is way-out of his depth as usual. :))
>>> I am pretty sure, Muggeridge is a great author and worth reading.
>> This should be fun...
>>
> How so?

I have my doubts about AgitProp's ability to understand words greater
than two syllables...

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.

William Black

Nothing written by me appears in this post.

Please be more careful in your attributions.

--

AgitProp wrote:
> On Dec 1, 6:32 am, William Black <william.bl...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> AgitProp wrote:
>>> Absolutely! - Blackie is way-out of his depth as usual. :))
>>> I am pretty sure, Muggeridge is a great author and worth reading.
>> This should be fun...
>
> So far it hasn't been - the book is censured.

1. That's censored.

> I am going to get back to you when I manage to get an
> authentic copy.

2.
http://cgi.ebay.com/WINTER-in-MOSCOW-MALCOLM-MUGGERIDGE-1934-1ST-U-S-BONUS_W0QQitemZ330381487538QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiquarian_Collectible?hash=item...

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.

Saracene

On 3 Dec, 19:11, William Black <william.bl...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> AgitProp wrote:

> > So far it hasn't been - the book is censured.
>
> 1.  That's censored.
>
> > I am going to get back to you when I manage to get an
> > authentic copy.
>
> 2.http://cgi.ebay.com/WINTER-in-MOSCOW-MALCOLM-MUGGERIDGE-193......
>
> --
Too expensive.

Try this:-

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1413683227&searchurl=an%3Dmalcolm%2Bmuggeridge%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dwinter%2Bin%2Bmoscow%26x%3D7...

William Black

Saracene wrote:
> On 3 Dec, 19:11, William Black <william.bl...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> AgitProp wrote:
>

>>> So far it hasn't been - the book is censured.
>> 1. That's censored.
>>
>>> I am going to get back to you when I manage to get an
>>> authentic copy.
>> 2.http://cgi.ebay.com/WINTER-in-MOSCOW-MALCOLM-MUGGERIDGE-193......
>>
>> --
> Too expensive.
>
> Try this:-
>
> http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1413683227&searchurl=an%3Dmalcolm%2Bmuggeridge%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dwinter%2Bin%2Bmoscow%26x%3D7...

Like I said when the imbecile started on this, it's going to be fun...