[ANN] uuid generator

Simon Stapleton

6/5/2005 10:13:00 PM

Hi.

I knocked together a little C extension today with the help of the
guys on the ruby-lang irc channel, it uses the libuuid stuff
generally available on unix boxes to generate uuids. If anyone is
interested, it's available at http://www.tufty.ath....
uuid_generator-0.1.tar.gz

BSD licensed, do what you like with it.

Simon

2 Answers

Simon Stapleton

Woops. Mixup on the webserver meant that anyone who trid getting to
it would have got a 403. My bad, and should be fixed now.

I should probably mention that I have no idea if this works under
Windows. Should work under any relatively recent unix-alike, though

Simon

On 6 Jun 2005, at 00:12, Simon Stapleton wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I knocked together a little C extension today with the help of the
> guys on the ruby-lang irc channel, it uses the libuuid stuff
> generally available on unix boxes to generate uuids. If anyone is
> interested, it's available at http://www.tufty.ath....
> uuid_generator-0.1.tar.gz
>
> BSD licensed, do what you like with it.
>
> Simon

Steven Jenkins

Simon Stapleton wrote:
> I knocked together a little C extension today with the help of the guys
> on the ruby-lang irc channel, it uses the libuuid stuff generally
> available on unix boxes to generate uuids. If anyone is interested,
> it's available at http://www.tufty.ath.... uuid_generator-0.1.tar.gz

I went through this exercise myself a while back, and then discovered
that DCE-style UUIDs are called GUIDs in Windows (Microsoft having
independently implemented DCE), and there's a pure Ruby implementation
available:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/...

Steve