[ANN] RubyWebDialogs 0.2.0

Erik Veenstra

6/4/2005 1:12:00 PM

I just released version 0.2.0 of RubyWebDialogs.

RubyWebDialogs is a platform independent graphical user
interface for Ruby applications. It generates HTML and serves
it with an internal HTTP server, so you can use your favorite
web browser as the front end for your Ruby application. All
this means, that it can be used on almost every platform, like
Ruby itself.

The basic idea of RubyWebDialogs is to keep development simple,
so one can build simple applications in a couple of minutes and
not-that-simple applications in a couple of hours. It's not
meant for building big applications or things like adding
functionality to the corporate's web site. (They'll use Java,
anyway...) But if things get faster, and more stable, and more
feature-rich, and more community driven, and more integrated
with WEBrick, and Apache, well, who knows what all this will
lead to... For now, it's just a thing I already use for quiet
some time and want to share.

You don't have to know anything about HTML, or HTTP, or
cookies, or TCP/IP or anything else that's necessary to
communicate with browsers over a network. All that has to be
and is covered by RubyWebDialogs. The only thing you need to
know, besides Ruby, is the very basics of XML, because it's
used to define the layout of the screens.

More information and download on:
http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubywebdialogs/...

gegroet,
Erik V.

Major changes:

* Added better browser detection on Cygwin.

* Added mime support for rwd_files/* (hard coded, for now...)

* RWDialog#serve now stops the application when the application
is being wrapped by RubyScript2Exe. Fixed a bug concerning
the detection of configuration files.

* Added Array#rwd_table.

* Added RWDialog#text.

* Added RWDialog#timeout.

* I changed a lot of small other things which are probably not
worth mentioning individually, but enhance the total "feel"
of RubyWebDialogs.

dave

uau!

--
>here are more things in heaven and earth,
horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Michael Vondung

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 15:11:36 +0200, Erik Veenstra wrote:

> For now, it's just a thing I already use for quiet
> some time and want to share.

Thanks for that, too. It's actually exactly what I needed for a tiny,
newbie'ish "project" (without needing to look into a toolkit).

M.