RubyScript2Exe and GUI toolkits

Erik Veenstra

6/3/2005 12:21:00 PM

I know that some of you use RubyScript2Exe in combination with
a GUI toolkit, like TK, FXRuby, WxRuby, RubyWebDialogs and
others.

Since I can't test all combinations of RubyScript2Exe,
OS-versions, Ruby-versions and toolkits, I need your help to
build a list of success stories, failures and tweaks.

Thanks in advance.

gegroet,
Erik V.

(Success stories, failures and tweaks of RubyScript2Exe with
other libraries (no GUI toolkits) are welcome too...)

12 Answers

David Holroyd

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:25:24PM +0900, Erik Veenstra wrote:
> Since I can't test all combinations of RubyScript2Exe,
> OS-versions, Ruby-versions and toolkits, I need your help to
> build a list of success stories, failures and tweaks.

I've used (some previous version of) RubyScript2Exe successfuly to bundle
a simple FOX GUI app running under windows...

http://www.badgers-in-foil.co.uk/projec...

Thank you for a very nice tool!

dave

--
http://david.holr...

Jamey Cribbs

Erik Veenstra wrote:

>I know that some of you use RubyScript2Exe in combination with
>a GUI toolkit, like TK, FXRuby, WxRuby, RubyWebDialogs and
>others.
>
>Since I can't test all combinations of RubyScript2Exe,
>OS-versions, Ruby-versions and toolkits, I need your help to
>build a list of success stories, failures and tweaks.
>
>Thanks in advance.

I have used RubyScript2Exe in several FXRuby applications. The latest
and biggest is an I.T. Infrastructure Management System, which is a
FXRuby app going against an Oracle database. Using RubyScript2Exe, I
can create one executable that is a little over 2MB in size. To see
what the app looks like you can go to http://www.fox-t... and
click on "Screenshots". It is the first application shown.

Thanks, Erik, for a great tool!

Jamey Cribbs

Florian Groß

greg.kujawa

I have an employee survey application that I developed for my company
in Ruby using Tk. I couldn't get it to run using RubyScript2Exe and had
to deploy it alongside a silent One Click Ruby deployment. If I
unzipped all of the various RubyScript2Exe files to their respective
directories things worked, however. I saw that the Tk support files
were included in the bundled .EXE as I unzipped it, but there must be
something else going on that I missed.

Kent Dahl

Den Fri, 03 Jun 2005 14:20:57 +0200, skrev Erik Veenstra:
> I know that some of you use RubyScript2Exe in combination with a GUI
> toolkit, like TK, FXRuby, WxRuby, RubyWebDialogs and others.
>
> Since I can't test all combinations of RubyScript2Exe, OS-versions,
> Ruby-versions and toolkits, I need your help to build a list of success
> stories, failures and tweaks.

I dabbeled with RubyScript2Exe and Tar2RubyScript on a weekend about a
month ago with the intent of wrapping a Ruby-SDL game and its files in a
single distributable executable for Windows.

It worked fairly well. But there was one small issue, which may have some
relevance towards to RubyScript2Exe/Tar2RubyScript.

The Ruby-SDL game was Magic Maze (http://magicmaze.ruby...) and
contained several data files, including a free font file (fraktmod.tff) I
found on the net. When the executable terminated, I could see log lines
where it failed to clean up properly. The font file and the directory
structure leading to it was still there, in the temporary application data
directories.

The problem is most likely that the Ruby process still holds the font file
during cleanup. (It is loaded by SDL through the Ruby-SDL extension.) As
far as I could tell, the cleanup is run as part of the Ruby process which
the main application also runs in. If so, other Ruby programs that rely on
releasing resources on process termination, could also run into similar
problems.

I didn't dig too deep into the problem at the time, since it worked well
enough for my needs at the time, so I may have missed something. Just
thought I'd mention it.

regards,

--
Kent Dahl
http://www.pvv.or...

Erik Veenstra

> I've used RubyScript2Exe to bundle up my entry for the Ludum
> Dare 48 hour game development contest.

Which GUI toolkit did you use?

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikve...

Erik Veenstra

> I have an employee survey application that I developed for my
> company in Ruby using Tk. I couldn't get it to run using
> RubyScript2Exe and had to deploy it alongside a silent One
> Click Ruby deployment. If I unzipped all of the various
> RubyScript2Exe files to their respective directories things
> worked, however. I saw that the Tk support files were
> included in the bundled .EXE as I unzipped it, but there must
> be something else going on that I missed.

You probably only saw the Ruby bindings for TK, not TK itself.
Did you use the --rubyscript2exe-tk option? I recently added
this (experimental) support for TK.

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikve...

Erik Veenstra

> When the executable terminated, I could see log lines where
> it failed to clean up properly.
>
> As far as I could tell, the cleanup is run as part of the
> Ruby process which the main application also runs in.

Almost... The cleanup is done by EEE, the bootstrapping program
which unpacks the files, invokes the application and cleans up.
If it can't delete a file or directory, it just goes on with
the next one. Such an orphaned file is not important for the
application itself, nor is it for EEE.

Anyway, the OS should cleanup its temp directories on a regular
basis...

(EEE is part of the run time part of RubyScript2Exe.)

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikve...

Florian Groß

Craig Moran

I have successfully used RubyScript2Exe to build simple FXRuby, Tk, and
WxRuby apps. Thanks for the wonderful program!
Craig