Suggestion: Add definition of "POLS" to FAQ

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

6/2/2005 8:46:00 AM

Hi!

I broke the thread to avoid that this message is accidentally ignored
by some 'ignore thread' feature (fortunately Wanderlust allows to edit
the message header :-)

At Thu, 26 May 2005 22:51:39 +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> But I'm tired of explaining POLS again and again. I haven't even
> used it first. I hope no one will use the term "POLS" any more to
> sell Ruby. It's free after all.

The "POLS" section of the comp.lang.ruby FAQ reads:

2.6 What is "POLS"?

POLS is an abbreviation for "Principle of Least Surprise" (also
called the Law of Least Astonishment).

This term certainly did not originate in the Ruby community, but
it has been frequently used there -- even overused or abused at
times. After all, *every* language or software system seeks at
some level to adhere to this principle. Is any system designed
to be unintuitive?

It is inappropriate to invoke POLS as a "magic word" when one's
individual expectations are not met. Ruby continues to evolve,
and Matz often makes changes based on people wishes, needs, or
suggestions. But he cannot be bribed or threatened. Make
suggestions if you wish, but think twice before mentioning POLS.

Perhaps it would make sense to add an actual definition (to the extend
that is possible) of what POLS actually means so that one can simply
refer to the FAQ.

Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT
--
"NO" to the European constitution means "YES" to democracy, not "NO" to
Europe - presently Europe as a whole is governed by a central committee

2 Answers

Citizen Jimserac

On Jul 23, 12:31 pm, Ken <K...@invalid.com> wrote:
> Jack wrote:
> > Fact
>
> Fact:  The president spends like there is no tomorrow,

You mean the way the Republicans did under Reagan and Bush Jr.?

> the country is
> about default because
Bony keeps walking out of meetings because the tea party controls him
and they don't want big oil, gas, corporate jetters and millioniares
to pay their fair share?

>he spends so much so fast, and now everyone is
> supposed to compromise and let him spend some more??  What part of "This
> country is going broke" do you not understand????

The part that says BULLSHIT.

>         It was a great experiment to place a black man who had no work
> experience in the office of president, but it has failed miserably.
> When someone proves he is incompetent at driving for instance, you take
> the keys away!!!  You do not buy him a larger car.

Unless it's an electric !!

GANG OF 100 MILLION.

Siobhan Medeiros (Shannon Mitchell) Work: Always On UPS Systems, #100 - 150 Campion Rd, Kelowna, BC,

The DemocRAT Hall Of Shame http://www.democrathallof... asks
"Why do you always LIE?"

Courtesy of Buster Norris:

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 15:46:11 -0700 (PDT), Siobhan Medeiros
<sbm2010@telus.net> wrote:

>On Aug 15, 3:30?pm, "Sid9" <s...@belsouth.net> wrote:
>> The United States is one of the lowest tax nations. Only Japan, Korea,
>> Turkey, and Mexico have lower income tax.
>
>True enough.

LIAR!!!!!!!!!

Taxation Statistics > Components of taxation > Property tax
# 1 United Kingdom: 11.9%
# 2 Japan: 10.3%
# 3 United States: 10.1%
# 4 Canada: 9.7%