ANN: ShortURL 0.0.1

Vincent Foley

6/2/2005 12:11:00 AM

Hi everyone,

I am please to announce the release of my second open-source software,
ShortURL[1]. ShortURL is a very simple library to shorten long URLs
using services such as TinyURL and RubyURL. It's so simple that it
consists of a single class and three methods :)

You can install it with RubyGems:

$ gem install -r shorturl

or you can go to http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr... and download
the tar.bz2 archive.

Usage is very simple, here's a sample irb session:
>> require "rubygems"
=> true
>> require "shorturl"
=> false
=> "http://rubyurl.com/e...
>> ShortURL.shorten("http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang...., :tinyurl)
=> "http://tinyurl.com/b...

This is a first release, so I expect many bugs to show up (I should
probably catch more exceptions).

Cheers!

Vincent

P.S: I'm pretty excited, this is my first Ruby software released as a
gem

[1] http://shorturl.rub...

2 Answers

jeevan

Just installed it and it works well. Nice work. :-)

Vincent Foley

I just released version 0.1.0. See http://shorturl.rub... for
the ChangeLog. Usage stays the same