OT: Looking for embeddable WYSIWYG HTML editor

delirious

6/1/2005 1:46:00 PM

Dear all,

I'm working on my own hypertext notebook program. Central to the
program is a WYSIWYG HTML editor. Since I do not care to write one
myself, I am looking for an app I could use, either by embedding it or
by adding my own hooks to it ?

All I need is something that will show a HTML document, let the user
edit it, and tell me if the user selects a link.

OpenOffice.org has a good HTML editor but as far as I can see it is not
easily embeddable.
Mozilla's HTML composer is embeddable it seems, although I don't see
examples of people using it outside Mozilla.

I look forward to your suggestions,
Simon

5 Answers

Dave Burt

"delirious" <Simon.Vandemoortele@gmail.com> inquired:
> Dear all,
>

> I'm working on my own hypertext notebook program. Central to the
> program is a WYSIWYG HTML editor. Since I do not care to write one
> myself, I am looking for an app I could use, either by embedding it or
> by adding my own hooks to it ?
>
> All I need is something that will show a HTML document, let the user
> edit it, and tell me if the user selects a link.
>
> OpenOffice.org has a good HTML editor but as far as I can see it is not
> easily embeddable.
> Mozilla's HTML composer is embeddable it seems, although I don't see
> examples of people using it outside Mozilla.
>

> I look forward to your suggestions,
> Simon

There are two that I know of:

FCKEditor
http://www.fcke...

HTMLArea
http://www.dynarch.com/projects...

Cheers,
Dave

Bill Katz

In addition to Dave's suggestions, which I think are the two most
widely used WYSIWYG client-side editors, here are a few more:

http://kupu.... -- Kupu, used heavily in Python/Zope world

http://www.kevinroth.com/rt... - Kevin Roth's nice and simple
editor

-Bill

delirious

Thank you Bill and Dave for your replies. It seems however my question
wasn't stated very clearly: the application I am developping is *not*
web-based.

I just want to write a little tool allowing me to use hyperlinked
documents as a diary. I some kind of rich text editor which I can
control from 'outside' and that has no separation between edit and view
mode. Hard to find apparantly. (BTW: if anyone *knows* such an
application, you can save me the trouble of writing it by telling me
about it :-) )

Any new suggestions are welcome,

Simon

Randy Kramer

On Thursday 02 June 2005 06:50 am, delirious wrote:
> I just want to write a little tool allowing me to use hyperlinked
> documents as a diary. I some kind of rich text editor which I can
> control from 'outside' and that has no separation between edit and view
> mode. Hard to find apparantly. (BTW: if anyone *knows* such an
> application, you can save me the trouble of writing it by telling me
> about it :-) )
>
> Any new suggestions are welcome,

I have a similar use in mind. My current plan is to use nedit as an editor,
marking up the text with a wiki markup language as I write (initially TWiki,
sooner or later some variations), then feed portions of the document through
a TWiki to HTML filter then to a browser (or HTML rendering engine).

(Aside: the wiki/TWiki markup language is important in my application as
another end point for the content is a TWiki or clone.)

Just thought I'd mention this, and that I'll be paying attention to this
thread watching for suggestions that might be useful to me.

(If my approach sounds useful to you, there is the possibility of
collaboration. My current target is writing the TWiki to HTML filter in C
(for speed), although I may fall back to doing it in Ruby, possibly as a
prototype if speed is not satisfactory.)

regards,
Randy Kramer

PS: As I haven't (really) written any code yet, I'm holding the decision on
the license in abeyance. If you want to collaborate, we can mutually agree
on the license (or "agree to disagree" ;-).

delirious

Thank you for the invitation Randy. I did some more searching on the
web and finally found some an app that covers 80% of my needs:
http://www.tr.... It looks like I won't have to code anything
after all :-) Good luck with your project.