Google pays students to develop open source

Bill Katz

5/31/2005 9:27:00 PM

Hadn't seen this mentioned here... Google is providing $4500 for each
top student to develop open source software. Current "Mentoring
Organizations" include python and perl software foundations, and I was
wondering if any leading Rubyists had talked to Google.

http://code.google.com/me...

Unfortunately the deadline may be today (or pretty soon), but it still
says it's not too late for new mentoring organizations. Given the
recent Ruby Central grants...

4 Answers

Bill Guindon

On 5/31/05, Bill Katz <billkatz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hadn't seen this mentioned here... Google is providing $4500 for each
> top student to develop open source software. Current "Mentoring
> Organizations" include python and perl software foundations, and I was
> wondering if any leading Rubyists had talked to Google.
>
> http://code.google.com/me...
>
> Unfortunately the deadline may be today (or pretty soon), but it still
> says it's not too late for new mentoring organizations. Given the
> recent Ruby Central grants...

Good stuff, and it's just starting:

"May 31st: Announce on code.google.com and open application process"
"June 24th: Final applications approved. Cut $500 checks for initial funding."

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Jeff Singer

Ruby would get $500 per applicant too. I don't see any reason why ruby
shouldn't take part in this, it could be a good boost to the community.
Bill Katz wrote:

>Hadn't seen this mentioned here... Google is providing $4500 for each
>top student to develop open source software. Current "Mentoring
>Organizations" include python and perl software foundations, and I was
>wondering if any leading Rubyists had talked to Google.
>
>http://code.google.com/me...
>
>Unfortunately the deadline may be today (or pretty soon), but it still
>says it's not too late for new mentoring organizations. Given the
>recent Ruby Central grants...

Pedro Suarez

Bill Katz escribió:

>Hadn't seen this mentioned here... Google is providing $4500 for each
>top student to develop open source software. Current "Mentoring
>Organizations" include python and perl software foundations, and I was
>wondering if any leading Rubyists had talked to Google.
>
>http://code.google.com/me...
>
>Unfortunately the deadline may be today (or pretty soon), but it still
>says it's not too late for new mentoring organizations. Given the
>recent Ruby Central grants...

It's interesant this project proposal from Mono:
http://www.mono-project.com/StudentProject...

gabriele renzi

Bill Katz ha scritto:
> Hadn't seen this mentioned here... Google is providing $4500 for each
> top student to develop open source software. Current "Mentoring
> Organizations" include python and perl software foundations, and I was
> wondering if any leading Rubyists had talked to Google.
>
> http://code.google.com/me...
>
> Unfortunately the deadline may be today (or pretty soon), but it still
> says it's not too late for new mentoring organizations. Given the
> recent Ruby Central grants...

mh.. it seem that now there are *much more* organizations on the list,
at least quadrupled since yesterday.. come on rubycentral guys ;)