Cannot install Ruby on Win XP SP2

A.L.

5/31/2005 2:42:00 PM

Cannot install preconfigured Ruby on Win XP SP2

Installing ruby182-14RC11.exe from RubyForge.

Win XP SP2 with 1 GB memory and 30 GB free disk. Logged as admin.

Everything goes well with the installer until the very last moment
when installer says what is the installation directory. Whatever I do,
the "Install" button is disabled. No error message or any other
trouble.

Any idea?... Invested almost $50 in Ruby book already :)

A.L.
2 Answers

Curt Hibbs

A.L. wrote:
> Cannot install preconfigured Ruby on Win XP SP2
>
> Installing ruby182-14RC11.exe from RubyForge.
>
> Win XP SP2 with 1 GB memory and 30 GB free disk. Logged as admin.
>
> Everything goes well with the installer until the very last moment
> when installer says what is the installation directory. Whatever I do,
> the "Install" button is disabled. No error message or any other
> trouble.
>
> Any idea?... Invested almost $50 in Ruby book already :)

First of all, you should install the final version of 182-14, not
release candidate 11 (or 182-15).

The problem that you are experiencing is a bug in the NSIS installer
that I use to create the One-Click Ruby Installer. Its rare, but your
not the first to experience it either. There are two things you can do.

First, you can try typing in the path of where you want ruby installed
(*do not* use the "Browse" button). Try something other than "C:\ruby",
like "C:\ruby-182".

The other thing you can do is an unattended install from the command
line. Open a command line window in the directory where downloaded the
installer and run this command:

<name-of-installer.exe> /s /d=<install-dir>

For example:

ruby182-14.exe /s /d=c:\ruby

Curt

A.L.

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 00:16:16 +0900, Curt Hibbs <curt@hibbs.com> wrote:

>A.L. wrote:
>> Cannot install preconfigured Ruby on Win XP SP2
>>

>First, you can try typing in the path of where you want ruby installed
>(*do not* use the "Browse" button). Try something other than "C:\ruby",
>like "C:\ruby-182".

Works this way.

Thanks!

A.L.