Stats comp.lang.ruby (last 7 days

Balwinder S Dheeman

5/30/2005 1:45:00 AM

The top 10 accounted for:
4.61% of the posters
20.79% of the articles
22.25% of the bytes

Averages:
2.68 articles / poster
2.21 kbytes / article
5.94 kbytes / poster

54 people posted for the first time this period.
They went on to post 85 articles altogether

The new posters accounted for:
24.88% of the posters
14.60% of the articles
13.46% of the bytes

Top 10 subjects for the period:

posts kbytes subject
33 67.9 A different perspective on Ruby.
23 54.0 Intellisense and the psychology of typing
20 37.4 if __FILE_ == $0 executed twice
19 42.1 [FYKA] Plz comment
15 33.0 Vim's Ruby indenting
14 32.2 new article
14 24.2 Zerofy
14 22.8 Ruby on Rails interest in comp.lang.python
13 29.0 Tk read-only text box
13 25.7 ADV: Rail Beta Book now available

582 articles on 142 subjects
499 were followups (85.74%)
11 were crossposts (1.89%)

1288.6 kbytes total
headers: 667.5kb 51.80%
quoted text: 181.4kb 14.08%
original text: 380.2kb 29.50%
signatures: 22.2kb 1.72%

Averages:
4.10 articles / subjetc
2.21 kbytes / article
9.07 kbytes / subject

Postings per weekday:

Day posts
Monday 107 ***********
Tuesday 105 ***********
Wednesday 62 ******
Thursday 99 **********
Friday 91 *********
Saturday 60 ******
Sunday 58 ******
(*=10 posts)

Top 10 newsreader agents used (accumulated):

posts newsreader users
410 (70.45%) ruby-talk 137 63.13%
86 (14.78%) g2 43 19.82%
30 ( 5.15%) thunderbird 12 5.53%
19 ( 3.26%) outlook 6 2.76%
5 ( 0.86%) mozilla 2 0.92%
5 ( 0.86%) noaa 1 0.46%
4 ( 0.69%) knode 3 1.38%
4 ( 0.69%) tin 1 0.46%
3 ( 0.52%) pan 2 0.92%
3 ( 0.52%) turnpike 1 0.46%

20 different agents have been used (versions unaccounted).

DISCLAIMER
Please, take these stats with a grain of salt, quantity might not always
denote any quality; on Usenet a poster is better known by the content he
and, or she posts.

Have a lot ..., lots of fun!

25 Answers

dblack

pat eyler

On 5/31/05, David A. Black <dblack@wobblini.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2005, Balwinder Singh Dheeman wrote:
>
> > DISCLAIMER
> > Please, take these stats with a grain of salt, quantity might not always
> > denote any quality; on Usenet a poster is better known by the content he
> > and, or she posts.
>
> If you absolutely must post these stats to the list, and if you
> absolutely must stick in some kind of so-called "disclaimer", why not
> say something positive? How about:
>
> If you browse the archives, remember that even people who
> are not among the top posters also often have very important and
> interesting things to say, even though they are not listed
> here by name.

I hate add email to what looks like a useless thread, but I have to agree
with David (and all the others who have voiced a similar opinion).

This kind of posting doesn't add to much to the mailing list (if you must
post it, maybe you could coordinate with Tim Sutherland's weekly news).

Worse, the disclaimer is alienating some of the long time, high value
members of the community -- If you must keep posting this, please either
drop the disclaimer or soften it.

--
thanks,
-pate

james_b

pat eyler wrote:
> I hate add email to what looks like a useless thread, but I have to agree
> with David (and all the others who have voiced a similar opinion).

I do not see any good argument for continuing to post the stats,
disclaimer or not. Put it on a web page. They do not contribute any
real value to this discussion list.

James

Balwinder S Dheeman

On 05/31/2005 11:44 PM, James Britt wrote:
> pat eyler wrote:
>
>> I hate add email to what looks like a useless thread, but I have to
>> agree with David (and all the others who have voiced a similar opinion).
>

> I do not see any good argument for continuing to post the stats,
> disclaimer or not. Put it on a web page. They do not contribute any
> real value to this discussion list.

Hey, I have worked hard to make these stats available, not only for you
but the whole ruby community. FYI, these are being computed by a *Ruby*
script.

I appreciate your feed back, but is not that more like a dictator's
appeal. I you realy hate these stats, just killfile these ;)

--
Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
CLLO (Chief Linux Learning Officer) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192

Balwinder S Dheeman

On 05/31/2005 06:51 PM, David A. Black wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2005, Balwinder Singh Dheeman wrote:
>
>> DISCLAIMER
>> Please, take these stats with a grain of salt, quantity might not always
>> denote any quality; on Usenet a poster is better known by the content he
>> and, or she posts.
>

> If you absolutely must post these stats to the list, and if you
> absolutely must stick in some kind of so-called "disclaimer", why not
> say something positive? How about:
>
> If you browse the archives, remember that even people who
> are not among the top posters also often have very important and
> interesting things to say, even though they are not listed
> here by name.

That's a good one, thanks. I'll re-phrase the disclaimer soon.

--

On 05/31/2005 10:22 PM, pat eyler wrote:
> On 5/31/05, David A. Black <dblack@wobblini.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 30 May 2005, Balwinder Singh Dheeman wrote:
>>

>>>DISCLAIMER
>>>Please, take these stats with a grain of salt, quantity might not always
>>>denote any quality; on Usenet a poster is better known by the content he
>>>and, or she posts.
>>
>>If you absolutely must post these stats to the list, and if you
>>absolutely must stick in some kind of so-called "disclaimer", why not
>>say something positive? How about:
>>
>> If you browse the archives, remember that even people who
>> are not among the top posters also often have very important and
>> interesting things to say, even though they are not listed
>> here by name.
>>

> I hate add email to what looks like a useless thread, but I have to agree
> with David (and all the others who have voiced a similar opinion).
>
> This kind of posting doesn't add to much to the mailing list (if you must
> post it, maybe you could coordinate with Tim Sutherland's weekly news).
>
> Worse, the disclaimer is alienating some of the long time, high value
> members of the community -- If you must keep posting this, please either
> drop the disclaimer or soften it.

NP, I'll soften the disclaimer soon.

--
Dr Balwinder Singh Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
CLLO (Chief Linux Learning Officer) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
Anu's Linux@HOME Distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, Knoppix
More: http://anu.homelinux... Visit: http://count...

James Gray

On May 31, 2005, at 6:15 PM, Dr Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:

> Hey, I have worked hard to make these stats available, not only for
> you but the whole ruby community. FYI, these are being computed by
> a *Ruby* script.
>
> I appreciate your feed back, but is not that more like a dictator's
> appeal. I you realy hate these stats, just killfile these ;)

But did you check to see if they were desired? :)

I've seen a lot of requests on here for them to go and no one begging
for them to stay. I'll add my voice: I think they belong on a
website, not here.

For what it's worth, I would much rather have Chris Pine's Tutorial
notices that he didn't feel there was enough approval to start
sending...

James Edward Gray II

Tanner Burson

On 5/31/05, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On May 31, 2005, at 6:15 PM, Dr Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
>
> > Hey, I have worked hard to make these stats available, not only for
> > you but the whole ruby community. FYI, these are being computed by
> > a *Ruby* script.
> >
> > I appreciate your feed back, but is not that more like a dictator's
> > appeal. I you realy hate these stats, just killfile these ;)
>
> But did you check to see if they were desired? :)
>
> I've seen a lot of requests on here for them to go and no one begging
> for them to stay. I'll add my voice: I think they belong on a
> website, not here.
>
> For what it's worth, I would much rather have Chris Pine's Tutorial
> notices that he didn't feel there was enough approval to start
> sending...

I agree. While these stats may be interesting to a few, they really
don't belong in the general list. They serve no purpose for the
majority of posters, and don't further any discussion other than to
their own existance. Since you seem to be against "dictatorships" I
VOTE that they be moved to a website. And in the spirit of
cooperation if you are un-able to find your own hosting, I will be
more than willing to provide some space.

--
===Tanner Burson===
tanner.burson@gmail.com

Ryan Davis

On May 31, 2005, at 4:53 PM, Tanner Burson wrote:

> On 5/31/05, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
>
>> On May 31, 2005, at 6:15 PM, Dr Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
>>

>>> Hey, I have worked hard to make these stats available, not only for
>>> you but the whole ruby community. FYI, these are being computed by
>>> a *Ruby* script.
> I agree. While these stats may be interesting to a few, they really
> don't belong in the general list. They serve no purpose for the
> majority of posters, and don't further any discussion other than to
> their own existance. Since you seem to be against "dictatorships" I
> VOTE that they be moved to a website. And in the spirit of
> cooperation if you are un-able to find your own hosting, I will be
> more than willing to provide some space.

Well, I'll admit that they are interesting to me.

I will also say this: BSD's post is JUST as relevant (and, IMO,
important) to the list as say, Ruby Weekly News posts. Both are data
about the list itself, one being an index and the other being an
aggregate. I like both. I wish both to stay. I wish both to stay on
the mailing list as that is what they pertain to. If anything, the
stats should ALSO go to a website. I'd also provide space to host
them if needed.

--
ryand-ruby@zenspider.com - Seattle.rb - http://www.zens...
seattle.rb

Mark Hubbart

On 5/31/05, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On May 31, 2005, at 6:15 PM, Dr Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
>
> > Hey, I have worked hard to make these stats available, not only for
> > you but the whole ruby community. FYI, these are being computed by
> > a *Ruby* script.
> >
> > I appreciate your feed back, but is not that more like a dictator's
> > appeal. I you realy hate these stats, just killfile these ;)
>
> But did you check to see if they were desired? :)
>
> I've seen a lot of requests on here for them to go and no one begging
> for them to stay. I'll add my voice: I think they belong on a
> website, not here.

fwiw, I agree...

There *are* some stats in there that I am fairly interested in (count
of new posters, most active threads...), but I really think a data
sheet like this would be better served as a webpage, generated from a
database, with pretty little graphs in place of splat columns :) Links
to ruby-talk.org for messages would round it off nicely.

cheers,
Mark