[ANN] eXPlain Project Management Tool v1.2 Released

John Wilger

5/29/2005 5:46:00 AM

Hello,eXPlain Project Management Tool version 1.2 was just uploaded toRubyForge (http://rubyforge.org/projects/...) and is availablefor download. As this is a minor release, no changes to your databaseschema are necessary for an upgrade—you should be able to simplyreplace the files in your application directory with those from therelease archive.I had originally been hoping to push forward with release 2.0 andintroduce some new functionality this month, but there simply wasn'tenough time. Not many stories were completed this month, because Iundertook a major refactoring of the code base. I've switched all ofthe templates that used Builder::XmlMarkup (.rxml) to ERb (.rhtml)templates. The reason for the change was twofold. First, there is aslight performance increase. More importantly, it is easier to spotthe areas where logic that belongs in either a controller or model isbeing implimented in a view template. This move helped out with thesecond part of the major refactoring—componentizing some of theelements that appear on more than one view and consolidating actionspertaining to specific model objects within the associatedcontrollers.As for the new "features" that were added for this release:* Overlapping iterations can no longer be created within a project. Ifan iteration is created or updated with a start date and length suchthat it overlaps another iteration, the create/edit form will beredisplayed with an error message indicating the conflict.* Fixed a bug where an iteration's summary would be displayed asthough the iteration were still in progress on the day immediatelyafter the iteration ended.* The login page automaticly sets the focus to the username field whenthe page loads.* When an admin creates a new project, he has the option of beingadded to the project team. He no longer has to explicitely view theproject team and add his account.-- Regards,John Wilger-----------Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked."Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat."I don't know," Alice answered."Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."- Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland