Ruby on Rails interest in comp.lang.python

Stephen Kellett

5/27/2005 3:16:00 PM

A heads up to the Rails folks.

There is a thread on comp.lang.python asking if there is an equivalent
to Ruby on Rails for Python. Thread title is "Python analog of Ruby on
Rails?"

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited

Curt Hibbs

Stephen Kellett wrote:
> A heads up to the Rails folks.
>
> There is a thread on comp.lang.python asking if there is an equivalent
> to Ruby on Rails for Python. Thread title is "Python analog of Ruby on
> Rails?"
>
> Stephen

Huh?

I just took a look hoping to find some interesting discussions, but
there was only one response that said "check out subway", and the remain
postings were about how "cool" someone's signature line was.

Did I miss something? (I was reading through Google Groups).

Curt

Stephen Kellett

In message <42974F57.6060309@hibbs.com>, Curt Hibbs <curt@hibbs.com>
writes
>Did I miss something? (I was reading through Google Groups).

Possibly, possibly not. I thought it was interesting that some of them
are interested in Rails and seem to want to reinvent the wheel.

I doubt they'll keep discussing the sig for much longer, may get more
interesting then.
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited

Dave Burt

"Stephen Kellett" <snail@objmedia.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> ... I thought it was interesting that some of them are interested in Rails
> and seem to want to reinvent the wheel.

I believe a good (Pythonic) implementation of Python on Rails would be quite
a different beast to RoR, because the two languages and kind of based on
different philosophies. There's certainly room for an full end-to-end web
application (like Rails) in Python. Good luck to Subway and all the other
copycat projects.

Cheers,
Dave

zimba.tm@gmail.com

Which makes me think of... is there a ruby equivalent of Twisted ?
It's an event-drivent network framework. I always wanted to know that

Cheers,
zimba

Joao Pedrosa

On 5/28/05, zimba.tm@gmail.com <zimba.tm@gmail.com> wrote:
> Which makes me think of... is there a ruby equivalent of Twisted ?
> It's an event-drivent network framework. I always wanted to know that

No.

Cheers,
Joao

Robert Mannl

>Good luck to Subway and all the other
>copycat projects.

I'm new to all of this -- is there a mutual hostility between the Python
and the Ruby community?

Ara.T.Howard

Joao Pedrosa

On 5/28/05, Robert Mannl <ro@cayoparaiso.com> wrote:

> >Good luck to Subway and all the other
> >copycat projects.
> >
> I'm new to all of this -- is there a mutual hostility between the Python
> and the Ruby community?

Yes. The Python community is too big to bother with the Ruby community. :-)

I personally can't stand Python, the language. But the community is
young and passionated. :-)

Cheers,
Joao

Nicholas Wieland

- zimba.tm@gmail.com :
> Which makes me think of... is there a ruby equivalent of Twisted ?
> It's an event-drivent network framework. I always wanted to know that

http://www.deveiate.org/code/IO-Re...
This can help implementing something similar :)
A Rubyfied Twisted Matrix would be great.

HAND,
ngw
--
checking for life_signs in -lKenny... no
Oh my god, make (1) killed Kenny ! You, bastards !

nicholas_wieland-at-yahoo-dot-it

___________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger: chiamate gratuite in tutto il mondo
http://it.beta.messenger...

Dave Burt

"Robert Mannl" <ro@cayoparaiso.com> wondered:

>>Good luck to Subway and all the other copycat projects.
>>
> I'm new to all of this -- is there a mutual hostility between the Python
> and the Ruby community?

Yes, there is :) Its heart, I think, is the difference of philosophy I
mentioned earlier - Ruby's TIMTOWTDI (stolen from Perl) and Python's There
Can Only Be One (Way To Do It). Add to that people who are just attached to
what they know, and people who have tried both and passionately prefer one
over the other...

I really didn't mean "copycat" in a negative way, though. Please imagine a
more neutral adjective if it looks that way :)

Cheers,
Dave